Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying my first plane

Nice opportunity to get rid of the ADF.

cessnatraveller wrote:

Nice opportunity to get rid of the ADF

You may call me old fashion but I like a “single yellow arrow” sitting in that corner near the TxB and pointing where I should go when I get lost with too much information inside the panel

The real problem is the accuracy of that thing and the associated usage in “IR exams torture”…

Congrats Neal for the purchase, you may get bored after 300h but for now just enjoy it (as I do for the Archer)

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Mar 14:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

And, not to forget, the ADF antenna is usefull if you have wet laundry you want to hang up for drying! Don’t forget to remove it before flying though, eventhough it would in theory increase the drying effect, chances are, everything will fly away :-).

ENVA, Norway

Congratulations hope many hours of flying enjoyment!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Neal wrote:

possibly an engine monitor EI-CGR30P as an JP EDM 930 wouldn’t be certified as a primary instrument,

Hope you have some fun.

I have a CGR30P and would say it works very well. In my case it replaced all primary engine instruments, including tacho, oil press/temperature, CHT, EGT, Volts/Amps and fuel flow

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

greg_mp wrote:

If you really plan to go IR with her, switching a Garmin style gps/radio/nav, may spare you some money you are going to spend anyway
Or he can put the 255 now for 8.33 compliance and keep it as COM2 when a GPS is added eventually.
ESMK, Sweden

Neal wrote:

an JP EDM 930 wouldn’t be certified as a primary instrument

Why would a EDM-930 not be a certified primary replacement? The AML lists a bunch of PA28 variants. An EDM-830 is indeed not a primary replacement, which is reflected in price.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

cessnatraveller wrote:

Nice opportunity to get rid of the ADF.

How would one listen to 5live without it? Loud and clear over Saxony yesterday.

EGTK Oxford

ESME, ESMS

I got her and replaced the com with a Garmin GMA 345 and a GNC 255, got a Liese silencer to go from Cat. B to D and a Garmin Aera 660.
I recently flew her to Russia on an epic trip and am now thinking about leaving the current state or do further upgrades as I plan to do the CB-IR next.
But this is an 40 years old airframe in need of other things than a panel upgrade. A paint job would be nice but AFAIK that would be around 20k € if done properly. Especially on the port side where the aluminum is visible behind some round marks that must have been glued on just aft the cockpit window to the left. And an interior refurb would be nice too but considering resale value vs. investment vs. personal preferences the choice is not that easy.

Last Edited by Neal at 06 Sep 20:26
LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message