Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buying my first plane

There is definitely EASA grandfather approval for the Merlyn Wastegate on the Arrow.

D-ESBC
HB-PIT (http://www.merlynproducts.com/magicprofiles.html)

both have it.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Yep, so “Merlyn wastegate controller, GAMI injectors and pressurized magnetos” is very rare for an Arrow4. The only one i’ve seen on the market in a N-reg.

LFMD, France

A turbo Arrow should definitely do FL200.

He is at -24C which is close to ISA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This guy did, years ago, on a D-reg.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

All STC are for N-reg plane I imagine. I have never seen an arrow easa reg with such, or even the merlyn waste gate, that was really a nice one for such a old fashion turbo.

LFMD, France

The TSIO-360-FB which we had in G-IJOE ran really cool with no mods. It’s the same as the one in the Turbo Dakota. The trick is in the fuel flow setups and having all the basic stuff right.

We bought three aeroplanes today, so it was a good day’s trading.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

RobertL18C wrote:

Is there an intercooler STC?
Several actually, for the TSIO-360. Some like turbo-plus are available for both Mooneys and Arrows with said engine.
ESMK, Sweden

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Makes me wonder why they never made an Arrow with an IO540.

Probably the reason that it was good enough, and doing as much redesign as Mooney did to fit in the larger engines did not make sense for them. I mean – 20 lbs of lead “charlie weights” in the tail?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

@WilliamF I suspect the CHT issues mentioned in the article were due to incorrect leaning technique. Back in 1979 I don’t think people understood that running peak EGT with a bit (25oF) of rich cooling was about the worst lean technique, especially in a turbo.

Is there an intercooler STC?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I see, thanks a lot for that report.

So the Turbo Dakota has the same engine as the original Turbo Arrow had and somewhere close to the M20K engine.

Makes me wonder why they never made an Arrow with an IO540.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
109 Posts
Sign in to add your message