Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Affordable light twins?

While I don’t agree with what A_and_C writes in most respects, I do tend to agree that a budget twin is a bit of an oxymoron. If you are going to struggle to finance running a twin, meaning you skimp on maintenance, training and currency, then you are probably better off with a PA32 or Bonanza.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Affordable twin sounds the same as cheap helicopter . Better to find someone who already owns the airplane and fly his airplane for a fraction of the price compared to ownership.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Michael_J wrote:

€ 54600 for a Navajo? What’s wrong with it besides needing a new engine?

In very simple terms, think one litre of AVGAS for every knot in airspeed. In other words, 150l/hr if you’re doing 150kts. Timothy will say that it’s not quite that simple (and he would be correct), but its a pretty reasonable starter-for-ten.

PS. A DA62 is a relatively cheap aircraft to run giving 165kts at 55l/hr of JET A1. The minor snag is the capital cost of €1.2M+.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 22 Mar 13:54
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

@Mooney_Driver, are you sure putting the words ‘affordable’ and ‘light twin’ in the same sentence is a good idea?

172driver wrote:

are you sure putting the words ‘affordable’ and ‘light twin’ in the same sentence is a good idea?

Well, as I can see the results now from the discussion, I think it is an excellent idea :)

Ultranomad wrote:

you obviously mean Cougar GA-7 rather than Cheetah AA-5A (which is a SEP).

Yes of course. Senior moment apparently. But then I’d probably be unable to tell the difference if the real cats come up at me.. not that it would matter I supose.

At the time I understood that some of the light twins have similar fuel consumptions of both engines combined than the single big engine in airplanes like the 210 or similar, or not soo much different. The Twin Com has IO320’s and I recall 15-17 GPH which is not soo bad. The Travel Air has O360ties and I know from the Mooney that one of those will use about 8-10 GPH, so 16 – 20 GPH yet again.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

As many have already said, there is no such thing as a cheap twin.

These old aircraft, however, are imo a formidable way to gain more aviation experience – you get to fly more complex planes for pennies on the dollar, you get involved with maintenance / chasing parts / learning the systems really well and you occasionally get to do nice long trips in great comfort ..

I wonder what the specific reasons are… Could any expert list them?

Twins have 2x more of some bits, but only some. They also have some bits you don’t normally find in SEPs e.g. the troublesome Janitrol heaters. And longer control cable runs.

I think a major component is a generally much higher level of maintenance neglect, due to

• having a spare engine
  • the owner statistically more likely to have bitten off more than he could chew, financially

This is hugely self evident when you look around UK GA airfields and look at the twins. OK; most of the SEPs are shagged too, but there are plenty of nice ones. Aside from the DA42/62 scene, there are very few MEPs which you could describe as “clean”. Most look battered, like they have lived in Kabul for 10 years, transporting mercenaries. SEP or MEP, any plane like that will be a money black hole.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not an expert but maybe twins were more likely to be commercially used than singles. Mine started as a charter aircraft, then was a photo ship, then went into private ownership once, then slept in a barn for 10 years, then was resuscitated by another private owner put 800 hours on it mostly on dirt strips in Colorado, then ended up in my custody. As a result, some parts (the wiring of the panel) were a huge mess due to the accumulation of tweaks and changes over the years. Others were worn out after 4000 hours of use.

wleferrand wrote:

As many have already said, there is no such thing as a cheap twin.

Well cheap is maybe a word I chose poorly. I’d say there are more affordable and less affordable twins like there are more or less affordable singles.

By the looks of it there is nobody who operates or has operated one of the twins I listed, particularly Twin Commanche or Travel Air.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@bookworm and @alan_south have a twin com (or had last time I knew, a few years ago).

This pilot also has, but I can’t see whether he is on EuroGA.

There is another pilot who I have met a few years ago at Cherbourg and who @wsmempson will know (might be the one above).

I also know another former TC owner, Shoreham based, who is an LAA inspector and who sold the plane to someone on EuroGA. If someone wanted to know something specific I could ask him as I have his details.

Twin Coms are generally better looked after than the other “old” types.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message