Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Affordable light twins?

With the recent changes in EASA regulations, I think it could actually make sense to have this Baron transferred to a European registry. If so, I can recommend a Part 145 and Part M Subpart G (i.e. CAMO) organisation near Prague to take care of it, as they are already operating a Baron 55 for their own use (and are quite happy with it). I do some work for them and their certifying engineer is a diligent and friendly guy.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 02 Jun 22:05
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Maybe, but one of the exit strategies for such a plane is to go enjoy the adventure of an Atlantic crossing and sell the baron in the US

Looking at the alternatives for achieving hours in MEP, it’s indeed a good one. On a typical flight of 250nm (I just made LFMD→LIPU then return on a Arrow4), the arrow4 does it in 2h, 36usg.
DA42 does it in 1H50, 30usg Jet A1 and typical cost of ~850€.
This plane (if not too far from Poh figures) would make it in 1h30 to 1h35 at around 600 to 650€ wet (55usg avgas) plus 5 pax instead of 3 for the arrow and the DA42.
“je suis tenté” :D.
Seems that this plane has a secret love for wind turbine…
https://www.bea.aero/docspa/2008/n-te080404/pdf/n-te080404.pdf local copy

Last Edited by greg_mp at 03 Jun 09:24
LFMD, France

I guess that’s a plus – built like a tank + spar recently inspected.

Don’t forget that the group will recoup some of its investment at the end of the 300 hours from the sale of the plane.

(Only one response so far)

In the USA where if you don’t want to pay your dues in an integrated puppy farm or agpilot or check delivery duties, but still want the multi time to be a significant portion of the 1500 hours for the FO part 121 ticket, the venerable PA23-150 or -160 has been, and continues to be the MEP hour builder of choice. The block cruise of 125-130 KTAS might be a factor :)

www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=44243 local copy

edited for the usual auto spell typos!

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 04 Jun 19:15
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I once met an airline pilot who did just that; he got an Apache with the 150hp engines for 20k, removed the backseats, put an air mattress instead and went on touring the US for 2 years. Only in the US :-)

RobertL18C wrote:

he block cruise of 125-130 KTAS might be a factor :)

Yes. “Good time builder” is a euphemism for “slow”!

Andreas IOM

All right so only one brave raised from the crowd to manifest some interest for the D55. Maybe we should do the same survey with a 100k Piper Arrow – I’m wondering if the results would be different

<<Maybe, but one of the exit strategies for such a plane is to go enjoy the adventure of an Atlantic crossing and sell the baron in the US>>

That is exactly what I have been thinking.

The Baron is over 2 tons. That makes it unsellable in Europe as a light twin. Or at least only under value.

And then there is damage history…. which makes it hard to sell also there….

As for the accident…. VFR to avoid euro control fees? And very lucky to be alive…

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 08 Jun 11:40
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message