Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Affordable light twins?

It depends on the quality of the OH :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

You just need to ferry it from Florida.

LFMD, France

No. It is in Budapest according to the add.

He should maybe ferry it to the US and sell it there.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Wherever it is, you can take the engines off and ship them.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Do you guys have an idea for typical annuals for a pa30 turbo? I can guess parking and overall (30k/engine I would say)

LFMD, France

That Baron just has been reduced to 50k. Which I suppose means it can be had for less.

www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=46093 local copy

Very prosaic but much more predictable on the maintenance front than a 50 year old Baron or 310.

145 KTAS, good load carrying, nice cabin and easy to fly.

One of these gives you the necessary PBN B2 for light IFR.

The Seneca I is a much less capable aircraft than the Baron or 310, but also less so than later model Senecas.

If you are in the market for a Seneca, I am sure that there are cheap later models. The II is a bit of a handful because of not having an automatic wastegate, but is still better than the I, then they get progressively better.

EGKB Biggin Hill

The Seneca I is a trainer and nothing else. The range is very bad with only standard tanks and there is few power for the air frame. But the deal breaker for any Seneca 1 would be the range. Less than 500 NM with adequate reserves simply does not make it a good traveller .

A II or higher with 123 USG tanks is much more capable and not much more expensive. And the 2 has a single engine ceiling of 17000 ft as opposed to 4000 ft for the 1

In defence of the Seneca 1.

Safety record: a pair of Lycoming 360 counter rotating power plants, large fin/rudder results in no Vmc accident for this type (for the 80 hour a year MEP warrior a major if not the only consideration)

Useful load 25% more than the V, with ‘wet bottoms’ in the outer tanks it is an honest 300nm 5 person plus baggage aircraft

With 97 USG it still boasts 800lbs payload and at economy cruise of 130 KTAS will offer 600nm with good reserves – how many hours do you inflict on your family & friends in an MEP? The ii and beyond need the extra fuel to feed the turbos, and full fuel payload is laughable.

Not just a trainer, a significant proportion were AOC aircraft, in fact one was the original founding type for one of the larger jet AOCs in Europe

Predictable maintenance: 16 spark plugs versus 24, no turbo, manual johnson bar flaps, electro hydraulic gear (Arrow), ie no hydraulics, no bungees, inspections similar to a PA28

It is an honest load carrier with predictable handling and for an MEP a good safety record – the ii has nicer handling, but this is a spamcam twin by definition not a Bücker!

This one has relatively fresh engines and surprisingly low hours – run out the airframe is worth €20k, are the engines worth €40k? Probably a good deal at $50k

Think of it as a cheap 206 with some over water safety aspects :)

Sign in to add your message