Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Affordable light twins?

The Twin Stratus really does remind me of an Aeronca Lancer (which is also from what I’ve been told a “unique” flying experience)

My choice for a cheap twin would be an Apache, I liked them as an impressionable kid and still think they’re cool now.

My choice for a cheap twin would be an Apache.

Agree, I once could have operated one around twenty years ago, but ended up flying its bigger progeny the Aztruck. I must confess the Apache was a fun ride and quite practical. The PA-23 needs sympathetic engineers with somewhat 1950’s technology: eg hydraulic under carriage and flaps.

I remember when G-BEXO was abandoned now a plane mummy in the weeds at Stapleford. It could be had for the price of the propeller overhauls and a contribution to unpaid parking. One of the earliest Apache types, in good condition with even slaved HSI!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I’ve posted on here before about getting my twin engine rating and upgrading to a Baron. Working on the last bits as we speak (do my test next week MEP/IR) flying a Baron out of LFQT.
We repositioned the plane from LFPN to LFQT with a nice little tailwind (lots of ice – no problem for the Baron). Thought I’d share this pic which put a smile on my face from our initial descent into LFQT. What a fantastic plane…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Lucky man! It’s good to smile in such period, thx!
I’m not familiar with aspen, what is tha RA indication with a red line in the AI part?

LFMD, France

Super plane, the Aspen suits it well.

France

greg_mp wrote:

, what is tha RA indication with a red line in the AI part?

I’m only guessing: Radar Altitude?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Usually RA refers to Resolution Alert, related to TCAS message, but I assume aspen 1000 doesn’t come with such tool.
It’s the last level of alert of a TCAS, and in airline, you must disengage AP and follow RA order (pull or push, and the minimum angle you must take).
But these TCAS are equipped with directional 1090Mhz antenna that can localize exactely where the plane is, learn the trajectory and deduce the way to resolve it.
If the other plane has a TCAS, they agreed both on the good manouever to do.
It may be radar altitude, I found aspen 1000pro max guide here EFD1000_PRO_MAX_PFD_PLTS_GUIDE local copy

I’s just strange that it is still appearing once in the air.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 18 Feb 17:10
LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

what is tha RA indication with a red line in the AI part?

Radio Altitude – At that height it won’t give a reading, but lower it would show a figure

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Radar altitude indeed, doesn’t help if the thing is shut off ;-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Awesome plane and nice groundspeed! Congrats!

I’ve seen the Radar Altimeter display 2000ft when up in the flightlevels (FL300+). Why?

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message