Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond DA50

The places I fly, given the choice between Jet A and Avgas with chute I would take the Jet fuel aircraft every time.

France

gallois wrote:

The places I fly, given the choice between Jet A and Avgas with chute I would take the Jet fuel aircraft every time.

Have you asked your wife?

I recall a very sucessful commercial (as people still remember it and it has become a model for many others) where an about 5 year old boy brags about how great that new sugar free chewing gum is. At the very end he is aksed why he chose it and his reply was “it’s the only gum mummy allows.” Replace chewing gum with airplane and mummy with wife (where the difference often is not so obvious) and you got Cirrus’ marketing success in one.

I agree, developing a SEP without a shute is not clever. It may still work for existing airframes which get a new name and some goodies but it won’t for any new design.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I don’t think this DA50 looks very nice. The huge cowling seems to slope upwards towards the prop. I didn’t get a proper sideways pit but I really think it does; the forward vis is not going to be good

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The ascending and descending lines make the airplane look like he already crashed. Not everyone is a born designer.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

@ Mooney Driver, I asked the wife she was not that bothered about the chute but she does prefer the DA42 not because of safety but she doesn’t feel the turbulence quite as badly.

France

Peter wrote:

I don’t think this DA50 looks very nice. The huge cowling seems to slope upwards towards the prop.

Agree. And at least from your pic (I think the reflections distort the lines a bit) it really looks like fwd visibility will be very, very limited.

Retractable.
Pressurized.
Chute.

Things that are missing.

Retractable will come, chute – who knows, pressurize – I doubt.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I’m not sure the bigger nose will get in the way too much. On the DA62 the limiting factor is the coaming/windscreen interface and a quick, non-scientific, experiment yesterday implied that you would need something more like a big radial engine to beat that! :)

Perhaps the more restrictive visibility from this fuselage is from the A pillars; you need to shift your head to see into turns.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

This was supposed to be released at friedrichshafen this year but of course that was put on hold – they are still running a lot of test flights but strangely enough I have not been able to see any speed runs – climbs well though –
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/oe-vvv#24b5e3f6

I wonder what their release plan is?

Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one