Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond DA50

Peter wrote:

They say it is all carbon fibre. Well, CF is heavy; heavier than the same structure made of aluminium

I don’t think that’s true, fundamentally. I do think that poor quality, cheap to produce CF structures are no lighter than aluminum. Ciirrus and the wing of an Extra are two good examples of poorly done composites, however good quality military composite structures and similar sailplane structures are very weight efficient.

Aluminum structures can be equally weight efficient, and also fairly streamlined when attention is paid to detail where it matters, RVs being a good example. Some people like the appearance of composite structures better – although it’s difficult to imagine that being the case for this one!

My guess is that the primary source of weight in this plane is that it’s huge, and it has a Diesel engine.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Jun 14:31

That was the criticism of diamond until da62 (huge heavy but not enough load and place). Da62 is not that bad after all…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 25 Jun 14:22
LFMD, France

PS re composite structure weight… there is apparently a certification requirement for redundant load paths in primary structure that does not equally apply to metal structures. I’m not familiar with it in detail but am led to believe it impacts the weight of e.g. certified composite wings.

This aircraft seems to have a surprisingly large number of capital flaws for a clean sheet design…

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I wonder why it’s RG for 180kts. A SR22T can do 200kts.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Only if you fly looking like a cv19 patient on high pressure oxygen

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flyingfish wrote:

This aircraft seems to have a surprisingly large number of capital flaws for a clean sheet design…

Agree. Any 50+ year old design like a T or P210 outperforms this thing. What do they think is the target market? Frankly, I cant see one.

Peter wrote:

there is another who thinks a DA40/42/62 looks good

Oh I think the DA62 looks great, actually

EGTF, LFTF

172driver wrote:

Agree. Any 50+ year old design like a T or P210 outperforms this thing.

It depends on how you measure.
What about GBP/NM/PAX.
With a critical constraint – in Europe.

EGTR

Exe of the beholder, clearly… ;))

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one