Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Mirage tank tabs

Since few weeks, I fly on a 2012 PA46 piston.
There are 3 filler tabs in the tanks.
Does anyeone know what quantity of fuel is associated with each tab ?

Isn’t there a POH?

EGTK Oxford

Of course, but nothing about the tabs in it

Ours did not have tabs but there are rivets visible as far as I remember 4. The top of the 3rd one was 40 USG per side which is a good fuel load for typical flights. Then 50 USG top of 4th, 60 USG full and 70USG including the outboard fillers. But better meter it at the fuel station using your plane… The performance really goes down with the fuel load so the PA46 was the first plane where I started to uplift only the required fuel while on smaller planes we used to just fill the tanks.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I can’t remember. Main tanks have 60usg usable. Fill to the tab and then measure the additional amount until full.

EGTK Oxford

If you become a member of MMOPA which I strongly recommend to anyone flying a PA46, they have a convenient fuel measurer that they send to members.

One issue with the PA46 is the thin wing: even a couple of degrees slope messes up measurements by a few USG.

Also, to get to 60USG, you really need to get the tank to almost spill, and you have to do it on both sides otherwise the weight differential will make one side look full at 55-58USG. So fill one, then the other, then come back to the first one.

EGTF, LFTF

LimaVictor wrote:

Of course, but nothing about the tabs in it

Strange. There should be something either in the POH or in the annexes. I checked in the only one I found but exactly the pages where I’d expect that were empty on that PDF… I’d check in the limitations, ground operations (refuelling) and in the servicing section.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Quite possible that the tabs were added as aftermarket (I don’t think they ever came factory installed). Mine where. The bottom of the tab is 25USG, the lower hole is 30, middle hole 40 USG, top 50 USG and full is 60 USG.

EGTF, LFTF

If they were after market, should they not have a AFM supplement coming with it? I mean, it is kinda pointless if you don’t know what they indicate…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mine came with a sticker, which is now in my AFM, but maybe the owner of LV’s plane didn’t do that.

EGTF, LFTF
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message