Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you were to upgrade, what to (and what from) and why?

My dream airplanes have all been at the undemanding of the food chain: early ragwing Pipers, Cessna 140, Piper Warrior, Cessna 180 (early version, ideally a C), Piper Apache (flew an Aztec for some years, but the helicopter view from the pug nose Apache brings on a nice smile), Pitts S2A. While the Aztec is a true workhorse, I saw enough ugly icing during winters that it made you a believer in punching through into the upper FL in turbine equipment. Even SET/MET don’t always punch on up as rate of climb slows above FL200.

The Super Cub is strictly day VFR and any EuroGA trip requires booking a week or more from the diary. A Cessna 205 (doors for passenger and pilot) with simple IFR kit (VOR/ILS, IFR GPS, one axis A/P), options to lighten the empty weight, would make a nice comfortable Buick-like tourer. You could find them quite recently for $45k, but good ones are now north of $100k.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Would like a Mooney 305 Rocket. Nice one for sale in the UK but I couldn’t afford to buy or run it. Would concurrently solve the over water problem as you could cross the Irish Sea and probably BHD-DIN in glide range.

EIMH, Ireland

Pilatus PC 12…my dream upgrade.

LGMG, Cyprus

If I ever were to upgrade from my M20C it would probably be to a Twin Commanche, preferrably one with Rajay Turbos. Or, if the twin would still be out of reach, I’d be looking for a 1st generation (non G1000) Ovation, preferrably with long range tanks.

Primarily both of those have quite a range, north of 1500 NM.

If I were to win that lottery and money would not matter at all, I’d probably go for a Vision Jet G2 or a Williams equipped Citation 501 with LR tanks. In both cases it would have to be the Euromillions to win.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

P180 Avanti is a forever dream. I will have one before I die at some point.

Avanti for me too. Love the spacious, beautiful Poltrona Frau interiors and sea level cabin at F250. Not sure about cabin noise as I haven’t flown in one.

Would also upgrade my Extra to an electric version if there was one available. I do 3x 10 minute flights on a typical acro day. Electric makes sense with such usage.

LPFR, Poland

AdamFrisch wrote:

P180 Avanti is a forever dream. I will have one before I die at some point.

I gather the Avanti is better to desire than actually own.

EGTK Oxford

I’d like to upgrade from renting a SR22 to a dirt cheap min. 3 seat all metal highwing that cruises at 130 kts and is fine on 300 meters of grass.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 23 Apr 08:35
always learning
LO__, Austria

Diesel 140 knot high wing metal tail dragger -basically a rans s20 with the new 141 metal wing and a 170hp diesel would be perfect

Probably a Cessna 170 with an STC for an O-360, if such a beast exists. Or maybe a Maule.

Last Edited by alioth at 23 Apr 08:49
Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message