Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you were to upgrade, what to (and what from) and why?

A 180HP Cessna 170B with a CS prop is on Planecheck based at LIPN Verona Boscomantico, @boscomantico may know the background – a bit pricey for an aircraft which has been ‘preserved’ for ten years.

http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=33191 local copy

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

No, I don’t think that plane wasn’t around the place when I was flying from there. Anyway, it looks like a huge can of worms. I-reg! 16 years on the ground!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

If I had to sell the current one, it would maybe be a 180 or 185. Would have to give up some short field performance but the space and extra seats would be useful.

If I did not it would probably be a bonanza or maybe 177rg / 182rg.

Ultranomad wrote:

I may upgrade to something like Risen or Blackwing for their unmatched fuel efficiency (better than the most economical cars) and transatlantic range.

I’d challenge the unmatched The mighty Europa with the long range tank is equal, especially the XS or NG models.

But I agree with you, with the unclear direction that Swift Technology Group is taking with the Europa, I think there are equally capable machines on the market now. The amazing thing for me is that fact that Europa is over 20 years old. It was well ahead of it’s time. I wish Swift would do something… The Europa, with minor changes could be updated to the modern market, and if a few of the lines were cleaned up, I think it’d have the jump on the modern 600 kg stuff. The Don Dykins wing is still superb!!!

If I had to change aircraft, I’d like a Blackwing… but I’m not sure I could afford one at the moment.

EDHS, Germany

Another Comanche probably, though FIKI and turbo ;-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Now a D reg 170B, un molested, restored, being sold in Verona – a lovely type unusual to find two of them in Verona.

http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=45485 local copy

…perhaps not unmolested as it was written off in 1999 in a CFIT in Spain in a thunderstorm

Cessna 170 B totally restored after three years of works. Completely rebuilt as new!

Impressive work after being, presumably, completely smashed up

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

Probably a Cessna 170 with an STC for an O-360

My dream plane is pretty close to this, and I borrow it from time to time: A 1959 Cessna 172 modified to be a taildragger, with wingtip extensions, and a STOL kit, with an O-360 in it. It is my favourite plane ever to fly! If I didn’t have it to borrow, I might have to buy one – but I don’t need more planes, and I don’t want to part with the ones I have.

I did learn a while back that speed is very complex and expensive. So, If I want to go somewhere fast – I buy an airline ticket. Otherwise, the trip is part of the adventure, and I enjoy the scenery – slowly! Of my three planes, my C 150M is the least powerful, most economical, and fastest! My “dream” 180HP 172 taildragger cruises about 15 MPH faster than the 150, but burns quite a bit more gas.

Last Edited by Pilot_DAR at 01 May 15:30
Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

For fans of vintage Cessna paint schemes here are a couple from the 180/185 type.

Sign in to add your message