Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna P210N Advice

This looks dodgy. The price is way too low (for an asking price) and the aircraft got an S-TEC 60-2 with the ST360 altitude preselect, not a 55X as shown on planecheck. The 60-2 with ST360 is not bad but why is it wrong there?

Garmin GMA 340 Garmin GMA-347

So which one? I only see one audio panel and why would there be two?

Interior New brown leather (new 2013) 10/10

Hmm, looks like rather old leather to me...

Pitot heat

Now that is an amazing extra

The P210N is a very complex and rather fragile aircraft. If cylinders make 850h before replacement, owners are happy. It's a good aircraft but it needs very good care. If you buy it, make sure to do an annual with a very competent shop and agree with the owner on the results of the annual. I would not buy it otherwise, there can be too many bad surprises.

It sounds good for your mission, keep in mind that it's a very poor climber (unless you want to toast your cylinders) and it needs about 80l/h in standard cruise.

I've read about exhausts cracking, fuel caps leaking, u/c collapsing, fuel vapour locks... It seems well-equipped.

Those are the least of your problems It has no fundamental flaws but it will run a high maintenance bill for sure. One very common issue is the cabin pressurization and leaks. Those are hard to find but it's crucial. There is nothing bad about its exhaust but a high horse power turbocharged engine in a very tight package needs attention. The gear system is very reliable and capable (popular in Africa on dirt strips) but it needs good care and there are loads of important service bulletins. Fuel vapor lock, I'd say that's an old wives' tale. It is susceptible to fuel icing, so if your cruise altitude temperatures are like -40C, then you have to mix in some isopropanol.

PS: I have a 60+ page C210 buyers' guide. Ask Peter for my email address.

How can you go to Annemasse IFR as there is no approach there? Night isn't allowed either, apart from local pilots (club members)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

For a 33 year old aircraft the price doesn't seem high to me. Much more realistic in today's market.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

How can you go to Annemasse IFR as there is no approach there? Night isn't allowed either, apart from local pilots (club members)

IFR to nearly Annemasse... Might be joining the club!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I'm not an expert on the piston P210 as I have only ever flown the Silver Eagle, but before going on, make sure you really like the airframe. It's a very old design. I found the cabin of the P210 rather squeezy and narrow. Also, the view outside (front and to the side) is not good. No feeling of roominess at all. It certainly is a good "go from A to B aircraft", but not extraordinarily pleasant to fly, IMHO.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The two pics in the link at #01 look like different trim - one B4 the other after!!??

You'd think they'd show it in its best light.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Thanks for all the tips!

achimha: I'll try and find out more about the avionics - the list above is a compilation of the advert and the details that the seller sent me. warleyair: not sure, these two show the trim better, looks pretty new to me...

Trim Trim

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

It's a very old design. I found the cabin of the P210 rather squeezy and narrow.

Not there are many newer designs out there... The cabin is not as narrow and squeezy as the Malibu.

Also, the view outside (front and to the side) is not good. No feeling of roominess at all. It certainly is a good "go from A to B aircraft", but not extraordinarily pleasant to fly, IMHO.

It is a travel machine, nothing else. It is not good for sightseeing or just flying around for pleasure. You have to climb to altitude (FL160-180) and then drive to your destination. It handles quite well and it is a very stable platform. The controls are heavy, similar to the 182.

I was very much into the P210N but eventually decided against it. Main reasons:

• dismal climb performance
  • fragile engine
  • high fuel consumption
  • not suitable for VFR sorties

Several friends of mine operate a P210N and it's a good aircraft. However, if there's an aircraft that needs an extremely good pre-buy (at least an annual inspection), it's the P210.

these two show the trim better, looks pretty new to me...

I agree, looks very nice. When you do your pre-buy inspection make sure that this upholstery job was done by an FAA approved company using FAA approved materials. You would not be the first one (*) who has to get his upholstery redone straight away ... usually these things are found out while doing the re-registration paperwork or during the first annual inspection of your inspector.

In case you buy it, make sure to get proper differences training by an instructor (or competent pilot) who really knows this aircraft. The engine is delicate and some 210 variants (not sure about this one) can bite in the slow flight regime. Especially when you need to do short field landings get someone to show you the proper technique. I almost crashed one many years ago because I thought I could do without training. That same aircraft was later lost in a landing accident claiming four casualties, so I can consider myself lucky (in the mid 1990s, the aircraft could be hired through achimh's FTO, maybe he knows more?).

(*) been there - done it, in our case it luckily was only the carpet which had been provided by a car upholsterer

EDDS - Stuttgart
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message