Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney M20J 201

The J book figures are quite optimistic. I’d plan on knocking 5 kts off them. What MD is probably just about right, maybe 2-3 KTS over what I’d expect. Down low I do training flights at 22/22 a little LOP and get 125 kts on 7 gph.

EIMH, Ireland

I’ve been very happy with the Avidyne. Intuitive and easy to use. I would install it again in a future upgrade.

After getting into a 201J, crawling being the appropriate term, i had almost ruled them out already.
Individual preference, but that and the fact of imagining a frightened pax blocking the exit in an emergency did it for me.
And not sitting very tall, i had a bad angle to look out of the windows. Again, just preferences.
The recommendations of other owners to avoid grass fields did not help either – have visited several since. Robust trailing link is better for me ;-)

EDM_, Germany

Is there really an issue with Mooneys on grass fields?

I might have a suitable mission for the plane coming up that involves regular landings at grass fields.

EDLM, Germany

Decent grass is fine but many recommend taking off the inner gear doors if its in any way rough which will cost you a couple of knots. Also the vibrations from a rough surface aren’t good for the sealing on the wet wing over the longer term.

EIMH, Ireland

OliverB wrote:

Not really. As long as the grass is good and the ground not too bumpy it should not make any difference. My plane was based on a grass field for almost 50 years and has no issues.

ch.ess wrote:

After getting into a 201J, crawling being the appropriate term, i had almost ruled them out already.
Individual preference, but that and the fact of imagining a frightened pax blocking the exit in an emergency did it for me.

Let me guess, you are not flying Pipers either?

I am 1.88 tall and should be 2.30 tall for my weight… I don’t see much difference getting into my short body Mooney than into a PA28. I find the sitting position in the C more comfortable than in the Pipers too, much more legroom. Passenger safety is one issue, true. Most people however will rather scramble out than freeze in place but some might.

The grass thing… I would not hesitate going to most grass runways I know to be decent. I recall testflying a C for a friend somewhere in the Netherlands where the grass was quite high and wet, no problem on both landing and take off. The J might have a problem with the inner gear doors but only if its made to operate into high grass or a bad ground. I’ve seen some concrete runways which would be worse with all the holes and rubbish on them.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Nope, dont like PA28 either.
Also single door, also no convenient way in.

I have been warned reg prop clearance on grass.
But that was just an additional factor.
We’ll see how many Mooneys dare come to Venice

“As long as the grass is good and the ground not too bumpy it should not make any difference.” Yes, of course, green tarmac is never a problem, but you hardly know before landing there. The individual perception of smoothness differs wildly. Tried Budaoers ?

San Marino LIKD last week would have been a push in a non-robust, non-grass-friendly model.

MD – at 1.88 you might feel comfy, my issue is crawling in/out and watching the surroundings… being 10cm shorter…

But as stated before. Climb in, fly one and then find your favourite ;-) the performance definitely triggers some envy, akthough LOP i cannot complain (as per Peter’s data)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 08 May 21:55
EDM_, Germany

Been at Budaoers two weeks ago. Nothing to write home about regarding the runway. However, the architecture of the tower/main building and the Poiarkopow U2 in the hangar as well as the metric DC3 clone Lissunow Li 2 outside are once in a lifetime sights.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

I was always wondering about the discussion about how tight a Mooney is.
It actually is the height, the smaller windows and the close distance to the panel.
It is wider than a lot of other singles … Cabin width

Interestingly not many are talking about legroom which is much more important for me especially on longer flights.
Entry and exit is only a very short period of your flying experience while the need to stretch your legs might be more
often (probably not if you are a low cost airline frequent flyer …).
Have you ever tried to stretch your legs in the „big“ Bonanza?
Compare that to a Mooney and you will see that this is where the Mooney cabin really shines…

OliverB wrote:

I might have a suitable mission for the plane coming up that involves regular landings at grass fields.

Yes, their prop clearance isn’t all that. I do land on grass strips I know well enough, such as Ameland (EHAL) or Texel (EHTX) but carefully. Taxiing on grass is usually done with firmly clenched butt cheeks. Mind you, the landinggear itself is rugged as can be, and will take a beating: it’s the prop.

EHTE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message