Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mustang Mark22

http://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=45613 local copy

A promising design that did not take off, would require a friendly A&P to keep up to spec.

I believe 220KTAS at FL240 with a 10,000 foot cabin.

It reputedly had truck like handling.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

An interesting aircraft and a deeper moneypit than most.

If I had the money I would not hesitate one minute, what a chance . But I don’t… the price is rather low still, as it is a really pristine airplane which was owned by the same guy for the whole time and always hangared. Engine and prop have harlly any hours since last TBO. It was to be expected that it would get sold as the guy is over 80 by what I heard.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 12 May 15:17
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It’s the third time in recent years that I see a serious IFR tourer come up on the European market in a good condition but with avionics totally unfit for modern IFR flying. The previous two were another M22 (the famous N7706M that made it from New York to Paris) and a Bellanca Turbo Super Viking. Makes it a decent candidate for a total avionics upgrade, which in my current situation I can do at a relatively low cost. I may even find enough money to buy this one, but – unfortunately – not to buy and start an upgrade right away… Anyone around Central Europe for a fractional ownership?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

@Ultranomad,

As for upgrading, the question will be what can be done. As it stands it has a KX165A which means 8.33 as well as Mode S. The Brittain AP, if servicable what I assume the way this airplane was kept, should be good to keep for now which is good as I wonder if there are any STC’s for any modern AP’s. It has a HSI and RMI which means you could probably throw in a good GPS and be done. Larger glass cockpits, newer AP’s e.t.c, probably not.

@Mooney_Driver, yes, I was thinking along similar lines, but a good GPS, even a small one (IFD 440 or GTN 650) will require a radio stack rearrangement, and one of the ways to free up the space is to sell the KX165A and buy a smaller equivalent instead (Garmin GNC 255, Trig TX56, etc.). Personally, I would also consider installing two Garmin G5s instead of the AI and HSI, which will improve system reliability, probably allow one to get rid of the vacuum pump, and save money in the long run. A new audio panel may also be a reasonable upgrade.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I would jump at this if I was in the market. 24 still flying in the world, so not a total orphan. Excellent performance – much better than a P210.

Well, by the looks of it, the most important thing would be to get it to the US. Looking at the musings about aging airplanes following the JU52 crash here, I hear a lot of rumours that some countries will go after airplanes above 40 years of age with a big axe. So while this one is actually EASA ELA2, it faces a very uncertain future, as does most of GA under this new threat.

AdamFrisch wrote:

Excellent performance – much better than a P210…

…with half the payload and supportability.

Seriously, how do you maintain an aircraft like this, especially on EU-reg?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I hear a lot of rumours that some countries will go after airplanes above 40 years of age with a big axe

That is to be expected from a country where voluntary reporting (*) is all but eliminated in the aftermath of Überlingen, and where the multiple failures to comply with an EASA-like system are blamed for the fatal JU-Air crash without the establishment of a causal link. Is there anything more solid than rumours?

How can a society be naive enough to think that prosecuting errors is the way to improve aviation safety?

* Unsurprisingly, after the accident prosecution, Switzerland has the European record-low number of ATC occurrence reports (both voluntary and mandatory) by a big margin, and we all know this is not due to a lower number of occurrences…

Last Edited by Antonio at 14 May 22:07
Antonio
LESB, Spain
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message