Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to lock yourself inside a PA46 without really trying

I was reading an old Flying Mag yesterday and read that Dick Karl had locked himself inside his Cheyenne by leaving the key in the lock and closing the door from the inside.

The airstair door on the PA46 looks much the same so I thought that I would give it a try … with someone standing by to let me out.

You can shut the door ok from the inside with the key still in the lock but as the outside handle drops in it is blocked from opening again from the inside by the key thats still in the lock.

I have been flying this plane for12 years, fortunately I didnt have to find this out the hard way !

Isn’t that what emergency exits are for?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Isn’t that what emergency exits are for?

We are not talking about an emergency situation

Have you ever tried refitting the emergency exit on a PA46 ?

quatrelle wrote:

Have you ever tried refitting the emergency exit on a PA46 ?

I’d rather sleep in the plane, eating my emergency rations and going through my stock of Travel Johns, waiting for someone to unlock the door, rather than try the emergency exit.

EGTF, LFTF

denopa wrote:

I’d rather sleep in the plane, eating my emergency rations and going through my stock of Travel Johns, waiting for someone to unlock the door, rather than try the emergency exit.

even over the weekend

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

No need of Travel john’s : you’ve got the Relief Tube System

Gosh, no chance. The POH suggests unless the relief system is rinsed through with fresh water within minutes the fuselage will corrode very swiftly. Probably a question for sellers on a pre-buy is how many times they used it

Lydd

Also what do you do about a Number Two?

Even I don’t have an in-flight solution for that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

PhilG wrote:

Gosh, no chance. The POH suggests unless the relief system is rinsed through with fresh water within minutes the fuselage will corrode very swiftly. Probably a question for sellers on a pre-buy is how many times they used it

Stationary on the ground, it won’t need rinsing. Ideal really.

EGTK Oxford

hmm true, assuming total accuracy and surface wind 360/00 – also would have the puddle to contend with on the apron.

Only half joking there – was waiting for a CTOT at Lydd with 10 min to go but the apron pedestrian traffic really didn’t encourage the use of the relief tube. So unbuckled and rushed back through to the gents in the terminal.

Lydd
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message