Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What happened to the FADEC Malibu?

Exactly.

EGTF, LFTF

PepperJo wrote:

Ok I stand corrected: Cost_per_hour_pdf

Stupid question: Why does the Jetprop not feature cost for HSI? Does it not need one or is the interval the same as TBO, aka 4000 hours?

JasonC wrote:

Europe favours the jetprop as jet fuel is cheaper here vs avgas.

The price difference is about 70 cents. between Avgas and Jet A1.

The Jetprop @ 21000 ft uses between 25 and 37 GPH at 200 or 250 kts. That is 100-140 liters per hour, 240 to 300 CHF per hour.

The Malibu 350 @ 21000 ft uses 21 GPH, 80 lph at 200 kts. That is 220 CHF for fuel at a speed which would correspond to the Jetprop’s eco cruise. I’d call that pretty much par for the money, apart from the fact that obviously the Jetprop can put on some more coals and soar away with 50 kts to spare.

I do hear that the original Malibu 310 is still the most economical of the lot with less fuel flow at similar speeds.

I’d say it is difficult to come to a conclusion as to whether then Jetprop is indeed cheaper to run than the piston one on fuel comparison alone, but provided you are not confronted with overhauls in both cases, it may well be that they are darn close.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The savings in oil changes compared to pistons pays for the hot section, more or less (you’ll spend an easy $15-20K on a piston in oil changes unless you do everything yourself). Add to this that all high output pistons with turbos will need some top work or turbo/wastegate work done before TBO. They used to say (when I owned the Aerostar) that to get more than 1000hrs out of a turbo was to be considered a bonus. Top work seems to come around the 1000hr mark as well.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Stupid question: Why does the Jetprop not feature cost for HSI? Does it not need one or is the interval the same as TBO, aka 4000 hours?

Check out this blog: “HSI not required” Not sure if that would work in EASA land.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I do hear that the original Malibu 310 is still the most economical of the lot with less fuel flow at similar speeds.

Yes apparently 1550nm range if you are willing to sit for that long.

I found this 1/3 share of a meridian in Europe. They say operating cost wet is £260 (~290EUR) per hour + £1250 (~1400) per month for fix cost (per share).

planecheck_D_EPPG_46267_pdf

Switzerland
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message