Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Socata TB20 for first aircraft.

Peter wrote:

This one says “engine has only 324 hrs since a mandatory Lycoming factory rebuild.” which would be 324 hours since about 2009 which is not great (there may be long periods of inactivity).

Actually, according to data at ad, the engine has been exchanged in 2012 which gives a little bit better (but not great) picture of 50 hrs/year.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

It is pretty difficult to do a gear up landing in one.

I wonder if that was a former Shuttle pilot. They extend the gear at 300 ft…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

To give you an idea of what to ask for, here is a video showing a thorough check-out on a fast retractable SEP (skip through the first 5 minutes):

LFOU, France

He did put a new Fedex fuel management SOP? they extend it a bit too early I would say

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thank you for answers.
It helps me so much.
What do you think abaut the price?
What is the real price included VAT?

Greece

To give you an idea on price, I sold mine TB20 5 years ago for €135k (without VAT) – it was year 2000 G1 (one of the last pre-GT) with total time 1750 hours on airframe and 300 hours on new engine (2.5 years on engine), 1750 hours on prop (5 years and 700 hours since overhaul), full TKS, GNS530, 2nd King radio, HSI, VOR, DME, ADF, stormscope, KFC150 autopilot with altitude preselect, GTX330 transponder, 2 altimeters, 2 attitude indicators, turn & bank indicator, EDM700 engine monitoring and JP fuel totalizer.

Last Edited by Emir at 20 Sep 20:43
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

according to data at ad, the engine has been exchanged in 2012 which gives a little bit better (but not great) picture of 50 hrs/year

Yes; I missed that. However, one then has to ask what the plane was doing flying 2009-2012 with a non complied with crank AD? It does happen but shows a stellar lack of competence by the maintenance outfit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir,

5 years ago, the market was much lower than today as far as I can tell. Prices have rebounded after the rock bottom values in the 2008-12 crisis, where really good airframes could be had for almost nothing. It is still a buyers market but prices have gone up.

Certainly the price of this example is high and is asking for offers. But it is not so totally out of range as it may seem: Airplanes in this kind of shape are still sought after. This one is fly away, does not need any immediate upgrades and can fly VFR and IFR (less LPV/GNS) quite happily like Peter`s plane does. The engine has huge potential and it does look quite well. And it does have TKS.

One day, one will need to upgrade the GPS to WAAS if serious IFR is neded.

Personally I look at it as a very valid airframe (prepurchase inspection has to confirm this). So it has it´s price. I suppose it would not hurt looking at it more closely if the OP is serious in buying a TB20.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Personally I look at it as a very valid airframe (prepurchase inspection has to confirm this). So it has it´s price. I suppose it would not hurt looking at it more closely if the OP is serious in buying a TB20.

Totally agree with you. And market perspective is valid as well.

Yes; I missed that. However, one then has to ask what the plane was doing flying 2009-2012 with a non complied with crank AD? It does happen but shows a stellar lack of competence by the maintenance outfit.

If it’s year 2001 aircraft than it was ok to be flown until 2013 without applying the AD (12 years, 2000 hours or first overhaul/opening crankcase – those were the AD conditions).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Interesting; yes I am sure you are right. However, doing it in 2012 means you miss out on the Lyco heavily discounted crankshaft package (offer ended 2009) so you pay out something over 40k to comply with the AD. Only a very ignorant “maintenance arrangement”, possibly in conjunction with an owner with “interesting” motivations, would allow that to happen.

As stated, a good prebuy is a requirement, and with some special questions asked.

Otherwise, it is a good plane. The avionics are fine; I fly all over Europe IFR with the same kit

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message