Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airplanes for tall people.

Hi everybody,

as the title mentioned I’m wondering if there are any airplanes out there that can accommodate taller people and aren’t a high-wing.

Reason is that I sat in a Cirrus SR20 today and couldn’t close the door due to my head being in the way, when sitting in a position where I can comfortably pilot the aircraft.

EDFE, Germany

Hmmm… I managed to fly the SR20 quite well. Seat was full aft and back was reclined quite a bit though.

EBST, Belgium

Yeah, tried that and still didn’t manage to fit in. Then again I’m a bit above 2m so I guess it’s a more unique problem.

EDFE, Germany

I’m 203 and I managed with no headroom to spare

EBST, Belgium

Low wing Piper SEP family before the PA-46?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I am 200 cm and low wing aircraft are usually worse. PA28 and PA32 are ok but not perfect. I have flown SR22 quite a lot and they are comfortable even though my head touch the roof.

But why limit to low wing? There are many good high wing aircraft where you will fit better.

Lot of this depends on the proportions(legs vs body) I guess.

ESSZ, Sweden

I’m 1.98 and the Mooney M20K fits very well, with room to spare.

EHTE, Netherlands

You are all short (relatively speaking)

But it is not all about height, body geometry is very important. You will just have to try different airplanes.

Cessna singles generally have the most room of all commonly available airplanes. I currently have a Saratoga – very tight, but it works. I used to have a Cessna 182 – much more room, but much less plane (for the mission I need the PA32 for).

Cessna singles generally have the most room of all commonly available airplanes

I might exclude the 120/140 and surprisingly, the 190/195. Conversely, the L-19/C-305 is reportedly the roomiest.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

One option is a re-upholstery of the seat to lower it. A number of TB owners have done that over the years.

I don’t know what paperwork, if any, is involved, though obviously the materials need to meet the regs (fire tests etc).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message