Banner
Welcome to our forums

Not one for Coleridge (a flying boat)

10 Posts

https://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?id=1512151 n226cg_pdf

Am guessing it’s multi crew and requires a type rating

About the same price as a new Carbon Cub

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yes it’s multi crew and yes it requires a type rating. But that’s not the biggest hurdles with these flying boats – the biggest issue imo is that none of them have a standard airworthiness cert. They are military surplus aircraft, they are registered in various restricted categories (see https://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=226CG). Which means that traveling outside of the US is going to be an exercice in filling paperwork.

They are also life-limited, which each S/N having a different life limit but they are usually around 11k TT.

Turning one of these beasts into a flying RV and touring the world in it is a dear dream of mine – alas, it’s probably 50 years too late.

At some point some people in Australia I think were trying to fit turbines in them. Not sure if that project is still alive.

Before I became a pilot, one of these was my dream. Have it loaded with surfboards, bbq, bed and tour the carribean etc.
Now that I am a pilot I realise how unrealistic that actually is!

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Probably because you didn’t know just how limited seaplanes are with regard to the sea state. Anything you could surf in, or even would be likely to windsurf in generally, is a no-go

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Actually that airplane was designed to land in the open sea – I think that its main purpose was to recover ejected pilots, but I’m not sure.

From the AOPA website:

The Albatross, though, has a well-earned reputation for being eminently seaworthy, designed to withstand the punishing forces associated with operating in six-foot waves and 10-foot swells. In 1956, an Albatross was landed in 15-foot waves to rescue a downed airman. A takeoff would have been impossible in these horrific conditions, so the pilot taxied his aircraft 100 miles to Okinawa.

One of my flying mentors flew them in the Navy in the 60s and had some stories to tell about waves and rough water. Another guy local to me (an insurance guy naturally ) has one among his collection. He’s now moved on to somewhere with lower property tax but it flew pretty often while here. I’m not sure it ever went in water!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Oct 12:32

A friend of mine has the baby brother; a Widgeon

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

It is possible to land into water conditions from which takeoff would be either silly damaging, or impossible – not unlike a soft field landing, and getting stuck in the mud, other than probably further from help, and staying is less an option. If conditions for a life saving takeoff are possible, it may be very expensive, as it is possible to trash a propeller in one takeoff, I’ve watched it happen – one takeoff in too rough water, propeller pitted to scrap!

And, remember the lure of flying into places at which a small mechanical problem becomes a big problem. Last week’s exercise resulted in four separate one hour round trip flights, of which I had to fly the last (because the primary C 185 floatplane broke at home) to take parts to repair a C 150 floatplane in a remote lake. A friend of mine had to recover a Grumman Mallard (little brother to the Albatross) when it landed on a lake in British Colombia with an engine fire. The fire was safely extinguished, but an on site engine change was not possible. He had to hire a Skycrane Helicopter to fly o the site, and lift the Mallard onto a barge to get it home. $100,000 recovery. Operating aircraft like this requires good support, either friends, expensive services, or the military!

Video here:

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Awesome lifting power and it looks like a very skilled Skycrane pilot too. Great video.

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message