Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus Safe Return / Garmin emergency autoland

US AOPA article

You can’t just use it to land normally because it sets 7700

It transmits concurrently on the current frequency and on 121.50.

And it turns on TKS if necessary.

And it does crosswind landings! That’s more than a lot of pilots

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does this also make calls to ATC?

That’s what they say in the video.

LSZK, Switzerland

It’s funny the article is naming Cirrus and Garmin, but the launch customer is more likely good old Piper in the M600.

ESMK, Sweden

“You can’t just use it to land normally because it sets 7700 "
“And it does crosswind landings! That’s more than a lot of pilots”

Put a disconnectable join in the cable to the tx aerial for use on final in crosswinds?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Just a heads up on it as I am watching it again. Actually what does it take to have a emergency take off and an emergency en-route… I mean this is not too far from a fully autonomous jet that would just fly people wherever they want.
Of course yet it misses things to make it up to this point, but we should take care of marketting people that would push RnD to this in order to sell jets to fortunate people.

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

I mean this is not too far from a fully autonomous jet that would just fly people wherever they want.

Of course. Elevators had operators too. Now they don’t. Let’s enjoy flying while we can.

There is no creativity in flying. It’s about following well delfined procedures. Computers are good at that.

Last Edited by loco at 01 Nov 23:23
LPFR, Poland

“Safe Return” is a lame name. It should work equally well during engine out. I would have called it “Auto Sully”.

United States
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message