Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

1966 Northrop F-5B

https://www.mentegroup.com/aircraft/1966-northrop-f-5b/ local copy

I wonder if this would do loops better than a Hunter?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No way…wing loading is too high on the F5B vs the Hunter. Just have a look at the patruille suisse display manoeuvring…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

From what I remember looking at display of these planes, they were highly maneuverable and fast.

It only lacks the engine power, and it would be much like the F-16. Northrop built one improved version, the F-20, but they couldn’t sell any of them.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The Swiss Airforce is still using the F5 including the display team. In recent discussions, the F5 was described as ridiculously easy to fly (one pilot said “my grandmother could fly it”) and very capable for the engine power. It is quite agile and used still by the USAF in their “agressor” squadrons.

As compared to the Hunter, the former has been described by the same folks as a truck.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I’m no expert on the Hunter, but the f-5’s wing loading (and low thrust) limits its manoeuvrability when compared with F-18 or F-16 aircraft as can be seen in flying displays by patruille suisse. I must say that Norwegian solo is quite impressive, though. @coolhand would know better, as he surely must have flown both f-5 and f-18…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Antonio you are right! The available thrust in the F5 is much lower compared to newer fighter aicraft. The F5 is very agile, specially in roll but its AOA is limited to 25 so high airspeed is needed to aggresively turn so this in change makes bigger radius when turning.

@Mooney_Driver sorry to disagree but the F-5 is the most difficult aircraft that I have flown (C-101, F5, F18 and EFA). It’s very mechanical, it’s not fly by wire. You must trim all the time. Moreover, its old engines are critical at high altitudes, low airspeed and high AOA. The aircraft is specially critical during the base turn (close to stall speed), when flying 2nd regime and during landing. Landing technique is “power-on”, the landing gear is relatively small and you need to perform aerodynamical braking or deploy the chute.

A typical approach speed is 175kias (E or HPMA category) and final approach speed 155kias, the aicraft is just 17000lbs MTOW! The wings are just so small that you need speed to fly.

I’m a F5 Instructor Pilot so if we start a crowdfunding I’d be more than happy to provide training :)

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

What’s the price tag on a jet like this? L-39s are in the 150-200k range – is a F-5 similar?

That’d be a neat way to kickstart the “Euroga Flying Club” :-)

Ha but the experimental certificate is the deal breaker there anyways.

Apologies @speed and @coolhand I got your usernames confused. Yes I was referring to @speed.

Since you know the aircraft…what about high-speed?

What will it indicate max on the speed at low alt? And high-alt? Is it really so easy to take it supersonic? Sirely the small wing must help there!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

wleferrand wrote:

What’s the price tag on a jet like this? L-39s are in the 150-200k range – is a F-5 similar?

As always buying it is the easy part. Maintenance, running costs, storage, licence ratings and training and on…..however looking at that photograph I can only imagine pitching up to that set up. The hangar looks pristine, the aircraft immaculate, and whoever owns and looks after it I say very well done.

Friday is a large roll-over I believe

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message