Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for an airplane

I am looking for an airplane.

Purchase budget is 25k euro

Two seater is fine, must be able to live outside.

Minimum 90/95 kts cruise, 4 hours endurance.

Able to take off from 500m in 30°C

Current ARC, and at least 400hrs left on engine.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

C152?

Biggin Hill

I was having almost the same thought but was hesitant to post it given AE's Cub enthusiasm... My thought was perhaps a C150 Aerobat with the 130 HP O-240 engine.

Italian parking issues aside, what would do the job with a little more style and lower fuel burn is an N-registered, metal winged, 90 HP Luscombe 8F :-)

Its a real challenge to meet that overall requirement, ticking all five of the boxes.

Thanks, you confirm my thoughts: a C150 Aerobat with the 130 HP O-240 engine.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Its a real challenge to meet that overall requirement, ticking all five of the boxes.

Grumman Cheetah ticks all the five with a lot to spare: seats three (on four seats), cruises 90-95 kts at 50% power, which corresponds to endurance of 5+ hours with the standard tanks or almost 8 hours with long-range ones. Ground roll at MTOW, +30°C and 2000' AMSL is 370 m.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

You could look at a Beagle Pup but make sure that it is the Series 2 with the 150HP engine. Endurance is a bit limited unless you have the long range tanks. Aerobatic and very good looking aircraft and a real pleasure to fly. The SA Bulldog is also a possibility but running costs are somewhat higher but with the move to 'permit' status, maintenance should be a bit easier.

Ciao Riccardo,

the more I think about it, the more I realize that there are really not too many choices for your mission (even though the "spec" doesn't sound too exotic).

The old Jodel/Robin aircraft could be a great choice, but then these are not good for long term outside storage. They are very popular in UK, mostly because some of them can be operated on a UK LAA permit, which saves a lot on maintenance, etc.

Have you thought about a metalized Pacer?

Most standard aircraft like the C150/152 or Piper Tomahawk will have trouble with 500 meter runways with two up in 30 degree heat.

Re the FRA150: that could be a good compromise, but personally I wouldn't deem the seating comfort sufficient for touring. Also, I did fly one a few times, and I was rather underwhelmed by its performance; the difference to a 100HP 150 was not too noticeable (but maybe this was just a tired example). FRA150s are quite rare though, and command rather high prices on the used market (~35000 Euros). Not sure if FRA150s can be approved for Mogas, which I guess would be a plus for you.

What is wrong with your 172N? Just looking for something more unique?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

PA28-180?

One of the better load carriers and short field planes I know... some can fit into the price and it will satisfy the other specs.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message