Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elixir - new aircraft with a chute - now CS23 certified for VFR

There are new DA40 ifr on controller.com, stated at around 580K$
https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/190501651/2021-diamond-da40-ng-piston-single-aircraft

DR400 IFR are a bit cheaper.

There are a ton of SR20 IFR in the used market, from 110K€. I have no idea of new but I would say more but the global package is much better than the 2 other guys. Confort, and chute are much better, but it’s running avgas…

LFMD, France

gallois wrote:

If you add to that the cost of equipment for IFR I’m not sure how it compares with its competition, although I think in the 2 seat IFR marketplace there is only the Liberty XL and I don’t think that has a parachute.

Liberty XL: no chute, no autopilot (no AP STC neither), still good and stable platform for 2pob serious IFR at 70E/h

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Jan 09:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Am I the only one thinking such GA plane as a 2 seater ifr is just for training? Can we reasonably think of a trip without any deicing?

Last Edited by greg_mp at 21 Jan 10:06
LFMD, France

Actually, Liberty XL is 4pob WnB with 2pob seats, no autopilot was problematic for me in IMC though…

On de-icing it’s largely mission/pilot dependent, but I am sure it does not happen above 0C or in VMC and allmost zero concern over flat lands with 1500ft MSA

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Jan 10:18

Ibra wrote:

allmost zero concern over flat lands with 1500ft MSA

In central and southern Europe, perhaps…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

As @boscomantico often pointed out, the sales of these 200k+ Rotax powered 2-seaters are very low, despite the massive advertising hype.

To be fair, they are OK for VFR, which is what most GA does.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

In central and southern Europe, perhaps…

Of course, it’s no brainer that de-ice increases dispatch rates and chute increases survival rates, before anyone says it: everybody considering serious IFR should get a Turbo de-iced with CAPS

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Jan 10:34

Malibuflyer wrote:

The engine can fly higher, so that can’t be the limit.

The 915 is a “high pressure” injected engine. Altitude is irrelevant, even with MOGAS. But, if it is to be certified also at alt, who knows what must be done.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

gallois wrote:

The reason it was supposed to be cheaper was that in the area where it is built, there are quite a few composite luxury boat builders and the aim was to use these facilities rather than building a production line from scratch. I wonder what happened.

Perhaps they learned that from a company point of view it is largely irrelevant if you have to build a production line yourself or use someone else’s. All what counts is utilization of these lines.

Yes, in the veery fortunate case that you find someone with a suitable production line that is currently not fully utilized and you can help them increase this utilization, there are cost benefits that can be shared.
But if you either utilize an oven by yourself or the ship builder has an oven that fits its capacity, there is nothing to be shared – let alone that an oven for luxury boat hulls needs to be larger than for the elixir so that it is not optimal from an energy POV.

Germany

Ibra wrote:

everybody considering serious IFR should get a Turbo de-iced with CAPS
That’s quite a ticket though. Most people here are then amateurs and below.
ESMK, Sweden
Sign in to add your message