Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Buy new aircraft for Flying Club

@Joep, does the Netherlands CAA forbid Night VFR in VLAs? Because as you can see here AQUILA_A211_flight_manual local copy the Aquila 211 is approved for NVFR as of today.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

TobiBS wrote:

does the Netherlands CAA forbid Night VFR in VLAs?

I don’t see how it can. CS-VLA aircraft are normal category EASA aircraft.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

IIRC the Netherlands had no night-VFR at all prior to SERA if you weren’t holding an IR simultaneously. Maybe there are still some adjustments going on?

Taking the risk of thread-drift, I’d like to comment on night-VFR in SEP aircraft.
The night rating was the very first “add-on” I got to my license, not because I plan to fly through pitch-black night on a regular basis, but because it adds another layer of options.
Many accident chains have started with the pilot skipping a fuel stop, continuing into weather they didn’t feel comfortable with or taking other unnecessary risks because of the fear of the approaching darkness. I did not want to become one of those, so I got that rating during the first dark season after I got my license. Would have done it outright, but as I obtained my PPL in the summer, no one was exactly enthusiastic about scheduling lessons from midnight onward ;)

Additionally, I found night flying teaches more precise flying, using the instruments a bit more, puts emphasis on radio and area navigation skills because counting lakes simply doesn’t work in the night and gives some routine in filing flight plans.
People going for a CPL via the modular route are also interested in obtaining the rating at our lower club rates, as opposed to a commercial school. This might be a thing for Joep’s Dutch club, too.

And last but not least, the scenery is simply beautiful!

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

CharlieRomeo wrote:

I did not want to become one of those, so I got that rating during the first dark season after I got my license.

I think it’s more of a personal matter. Almost all of my flying is done in the “summer” (late February to November). From late April to August it’s practically light 24/7 where I live. I have always thought of it as a waste of time. During the winter, there is light only a few hours, but lots of days/nights with crystal clear air, moonshine, stars and white snow everywhere. So, read all the theory now, and will start doing this rating. Maybe I like it, maybe I don’t.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

IIRC the Netherlands had no night-VFR at all prior to SERA if you weren’t holding an IR simultaneously. Maybe there are still some adjustments going on?

Night VFR will be allowed as of 01-01-2020 in The Netherlands.

Airborne_Again wrote:

I don’t see how it can

I think they can. Sera say:

When so prescribed by the competent authority, VFR flights at night may be permitted under the following
conditions:
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Our club will soon be looking for a new (used) tow plane. One of the ideas is to buy a 4 seater to be used not only for towing gliders but also for some sightseeing flights since at the moment the club has only 2 seaters.
Anybody has experience with Robins, C172, C182 or other 4 seater as tow planes?

LKBE

LeSving wrote:

When so prescribed by the competent authority, VFR flights at night may be permitted under the following
conditions:

Yes, but that applies to all flights.

What I mean is that there is no provision for a country to allow or disallow night VFR for particular aircraft types. Either they say yes and then all aircraft certified and equipped for night VFR can fly night VFR or they say no and then no aircraft can fly night VFR.

Individual countries have no say in the certification of EASA aircraft.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 15 Dec 13:18
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’ve never done glider towing but of the three the DR400 is probably the best option with power:weight, and there’s a ‘R’ (remorqueur/tug) version with 180/200hp and 2- 3- or 4-blade propeller. If it’s taking members of the public for sightseeing it has good views with the big canopy, despite being low wing. The one I flew had amazing rate of climb compared to C172 and even C182 (the book says over 1000 fpm with a 300kg glider) although unless it’s variable pitch the cruise speed isn’t great. It only has a 110 litre main tank which can be limiting unless you have the optional 50 litre auxiliary tank. There’s a red arc on the rpm gauge (2200-2400) which I’ve often wondered about – it must be a vibration thing..?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

inspired by another recent thread I’ve been trying to put together a list of all rotax-powered EASA-certified planes with a focus on BRS availability. Thought of sharing the (still partial) results here. Only already commercial available planes are present. I made a different list for CS-LSA, CS-VLA and CS-23. The surprises to me are:
- no need of CS-VLA for Night-VFR (as somebody wrote before): see Virus and SD4, which are also the only NVFR EASA-certified rotax-powered planes with BRS
- no VLA and no IFR rotax-powered-plane offers BRS as of today (maybe the D4 but is VFR-only anyway).

Feel free to add/amend:

CS-LSA:
Virus SW 121 (NVFR) – BRS
Tomark Viper SD-4 (NVFR) – BRS
PS28 Sportcruiser (RTC) – BRS
Evektor Sportster (RTC) – BRS
CTLS-ELA (RTC) – BRS
Breezer 600 (RTC) – BRS
WT9 (RTC) – BRS

CS-VLA:
Aero AT3 R100
Aquila AT01