Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rotax STC conversion for a C150 / O-200, and overhaul costs

The certified Aquila A210 also has the classical exhaust shroud design, and both cabin heat and defrost work well. This includes the -18°-weekend.

Additionally, the material of the exhaust and shroud seem to be good as well, we never had a problem with corrosion or cracks, as opposed to the systems on the more traditional Lycoming and Continental engines.

So the problems you apparently have with your aircraft seem to be airframe-related.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Maybe give this Italian flight school a ring. Shame we can’t read the OAT on the PFD, but must have been pretty low. Bristell UL with shroud heating.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

T28 wrote:

As a sidenote complaining that the Rotax “isn’t appropriate for winter ops” by comparing it with the thermal output of the Cub engine is a bit apples to oranges.

I didn’t do that, which I’m sure you have noticed. My club has 4 Rotax powered aircraft. Below -10 to -15 none of them is capable of heating up the cabin – at all. I call this an Apple (only) assessment (or real world experience if you want). We also have 4 Lycoming and Continental (Cub) powered aircraft. All of them works perfectly well with temperatures below -10 to -15. This is an Orange (only) assessment. Comparing those apples with those oranges is perfectly valid, and the result is as it is.

As I said, the liquid heaters in those Rotaxes are adequate for summer operations (+10 deg and up. Works below that as well, but not if you want +20 in the cabin and there is no heat from the sun to speak of). The exhaust heaters sounds interesting, but I have yet to see any real world experience in temperatures below -10 to -15. In theory they should work just fine, but no hard data is available.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

So maybe time to delete the 212 liquid heater option and go back to the exhaust shroud standard option that works perfectly well…

As a sidenote complaining that the Rotax “isn’t appropriate for winter ops” by comparing it with the thermal output of the Cub engine is a bit apples to oranges.

Last Edited by T28 at 25 Feb 08:02
T28
Switzerland

T28 wrote:

too many holes, doors / cockpit seals lacking

We have an old Cub from the 40s. It leaks all right, but the heater do the job no matter what. On the P2008, 2-3 years old now, we have had an electric heater in the cabin, going continuously for the last couple of months to have some residual heat in there for the occasional local flight (in -15 to -20 ).

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Exhaust shroud on the Bristell (UL and CS23)

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Exhaust shroud on our Eurofox’s 912.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Can’t blame Rotax if the kit installer went for the el cheapo version without exhaust shroud then can you… EGT in a Rotax is the same as in a Continental or Lyc. If the shroud assembly doesn’t provide enough heat for a two-seater (unlikely) maybe the kit assembly quality is to blame… (too many holes, doors / cockpit seals lacking).

T28
Switzerland

T28 wrote:

All Rotax engines provide cabin hot air from a shroud mounted around the exhaust.

None of the ones I have flown. It’s a separate little air/water heat exchanger like the ones mounted in cars. Works great in +15 and up

T28 wrote:

Aeropro Eurofox

I guy just called me some minutes ago, he had bought a Eurofox and wanted a check ride and some short field practice Looking forward to that.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

All Rotax engines provide cabin hot air from a shroud mounted around the exhaust.

For the cold sensitive, the Aeropro Eurofox heater boost kit, teed into the liquid coolant lines will augment exhaust heated air with coolant heated air for four hundred dollars and change.

T28
Switzerland
112 Posts
Sign in to add your message