Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna taildraggers are back!

Check this out: https://bushliner.com

Perhaps not overly relevant to European ops, but still cool. Would love one.

That’s amazing… but yes one can see how this was possible in the US, without a massive amount of certification work

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That’s amazing… but yes one can see how this was possible in the US, without a massive amount of certification work

I don’t see what is stopping anyone from doing the same in Europe. EASA “approved” aircraft, I’m not sure I admit, but any ICAO compliant vintage, like a Cub should be no problem, as this is basically how they are maintained today.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Sure one can repair and otherwise maintain an aircraft here, but I think the main challenge in this case would have been the manufacture (from nothing) of parts which cannot be any longer puchased from the TC holder.

Administrator

I don’t see what should stop that either. Producing a new aircraft, as in brand new serial number, probably? But as long as you have a small piece left, a small piece of one rib for instance, I don’t see what should be the problem, other than the fact that such an aircraft certainly will not be cheap.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Can you not use PMA parts on an EASA aircraft? Are you forced to only use (e.g.) Cessna parts?

Andreas IOM

This is great I hope they do well. A 180 would be lovely.

The web site link appears to be a rebuilding/overhaul company, who say they will make an old aircraft better than new. They start with an existing airframe.

I’m sure it is better than new, but it’s still nothing revolutionary, many aircraft are overhauled like that.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

You can use FAA-PMA parts on EASA-reg, subject to various requirements.

It’s a matter of which parts were done under PMA. Structural parts are probably a no-go over here.

Administrator

I had a look around their site. It appears what they call “overhaul” involves a lot more than what other people mean by “overhaul” or “refurbishment”.

They replace all the skin! So you give them a donor aircraft, they take all the skin off, you are left with a bunch of ribs, formers, stringers and they basically put a new airplane around it.

Wont be cheap – I wonder how many man hours it takes just to reskin a 185?

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message