Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TBM850 bargain ?

Does neglecting a plane for two years really have such an impact on value ?

https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=48202 F-HBGE

EBST, Belgium

I suppose it depends on what maintenance will be necessary to get it flying again. Also, is it de-registered possibly?

2 years sitting could do quite a bit of damage to the engine and systems, however it somehow does not look as it was parked outside… would need quite some investigation before committing to something like this. It sure could be tempting for someone who wants a TBM.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

5 secs on google finds this: F-HBGE damage history

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’d say a good repair doesn’t torpedoe the value of your aircraft, does it ?

EBST, Belgium

With turbines often comes mandatory run times, or rather, the longest you can keep from running the engines before you need to inspect (or even in worst case scenario, overhaul). I’m not sure what the deal is for PT6’s, but on TPE’s it’s about 60 days before they need an inspection. So if this has not turned a blade in 3 years, then you might encounter some of that. I would assume it would just need a deeper inspection, but I do know that some RR engines on the older Gulfstreams had to be overhauled when they sit idle over a certain period. Talk about expensive!

An Overhaul of one of these “big block” PT6’s is easily in the $500-700K+ category. Hell, I even heard of a hot section inspection that cost as much as $400K.

An Overhaul of one of these “big block” PT6’s is easily in the $500-700K+ category. Hell, I even heard of a hot section inspection that cost as much as $400K.

That might be tough to swallow.

Apparently the aircraft is up for auction ‘till the 10th of februari. The auctioner’s website has some documentation about this aircraft. On the blocks since 2017 and now up for auction; financial trouble ?

EBST, Belgium

Almost certainly financial or similar trouble, otherwise why sit so long without being flown?

I agree a good repair is a good repair, but it does affect the value somewhat. I recall this from discussing one plane with a TBM dealer some years ago.

If there is a 700k USD hit on this one, that would explain the price. TBM850 prices keep going down as new ones come out.

As with any similar proposition in GA, it can be very good value for a buyer with good engineering resources.

Administrator

You would be entirely at the mercy of Pratt, Daher and any NAA airworthiness inspector. A programme would prob be needed to recommission it as it hasn’t been stored properly. A big risk for a private buyer.

EGTK Oxford

A programme would prob be needed to recommission it

What is the reason for this, and why is it different from any GA plane?

Normally, one needs to perform an Annual, bring it up to date with ADs, implement airworthiness limitations (max inactive times, perhaps), etc. Why is the TBM different?

I was hangared at a TBM dealer and most TBMs were not on a programme.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I was hangared at a TBM dealer and most TBMs were not on a programme.

Not that sort of programme. For more complex types you can need to agree with the manufacturer a programme of work to regain airworthiness. Ie there is prob not a procedure in the AMM to make an aircraft airworthy if it has not flown for two years and has not been properly stored.

EGTK Oxford
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message