Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 v 114B v SR22

For the following, how would you compare the 3 a/c

Assuming same purchase price
Capable of 4 adults plus fuel to tabs
IFR/PBN/Airways touring (none FIKI and Turbo variants)

Discuss…..

I think the SR22 is the most modern by far and the best supported with an active factory. Given your assumptions, it would be the clear favourite IMHO. The other two are orphaned aircraft essentially (good aircraft but legacy now).

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 Jan 22:18
EGTK Oxford

I agree with Jason.
A further consideration may be due to the predominant type of flying you want to do.
For example, any SEP within reason may operate from a quality grass runway but the TB20 and the 114 may tollerate slightly shorter and bumpier runways.
All 3 would be on my wish list but the Cirrus will be significantly more expensive to purchase.

United Kingdom

I couldnt agree with JasonC more, if you are considering a purchase.

On the other hand you may well find the others are less costly to operate, but subject to the availability of parts, and potentially better value for money as to the initial purchase (you will almost certainly be buying an older aircraft) but it might be in excellent condition. It will probably have foregone most of its depreciation in other words, and may be on a new and low time engine.

In terms of which is the nicer to fly – well thats a whole different question. I have flown all three, and would probably opt for the 22 purely from this point of view, and disregarding other considerations.

i have never been involved with maintaining a Commander, but I am lead to believe, this can be especially costly and challenging. Peter will probably have all the answers on the TB20. With a 22 it is well worth being very clear as to the costs of taking care of one.

Comparing with same equipment, they have similar capability, so e.g. an SR22T and a TB21 are comparable. Similarly if both have TKS, though an SR22 has a greater requirement for TKS due to the wing profile.

The TBs have not been made since 2002 so you can’t buy a new one. OTOH you will never pay anywhere near what a newer Cirrus would cost you, so it depends on your budget. I am not sure I would buy a 2002 SR22; I looked at Cirruses back then and the build quality was basically IKEA (much improved since).

I wroteup my ownership decisions and since, here.

The SR22 generally has the highest “non flying spouse acceptance”, due to the chute

Avionics play a big part in the choice – expensive and potentially a can of worms to get installed, so better to get the previous owner to pay for it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The build quality/cabin comfort on the 114B has a high reputation and good owner loyalty. They tend to be quite hungry on the take off run required, but expect in line with the other two aircraft.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

AFAIK 114B makes nice war machine (also means they are old orphans)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Avionics play a big part in the choice – expensive and potentially a can of worms to get installed, so better to get the previous owner to pay for it

I notice the three choices provided are all available in relatively newly built form. I think the hassle of avionics retrofit is probably the unstated reason why (?) – I see this as the main motivation to buy a newer plane, although there are downsides to doing so: assuming similar condition a newer design often means more expensive to maintain due to evolution of certification standards and more complex equipment.

Of the three I would personally choose something with a Lycoming versus a Continental, and with individually serviceable avionics. The 114 is too massive for my taste so of the three it’d be the TB 20, notwithstanding the hassle of parts procurement for a French design. I fly a plane with even more challenging airframe parts issues.

Otherwise at risk of being noted as ‘that guy’, the one who answers an unasked question, my choice for this job would be a carefully vetted early 70s Piper Comanche 260C: up to 1400 lbs useful load, usually 90 gallons of fuel, acres of space, 160 kts and not built to a price, nice construction and design. I suspect to get one with a panel equipped as you’d like would take a significant additional investment in time and money, but they are not as expensive initially at about $100K (although this is substantially more than a pre C version Comanche) so the final cost might still be less. For what that may be worth.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 07 Jan 15:46

Cirrus has a renew frequency, which is shorter than BMW, MERCEDES etc…
https://cirrusaircraft.com/cirrus-aircraft-launches-the-2020-sr-series-powered-by-an-all-new-mobile-app/

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany
52 Posts
Sign in to add your message