Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 v 114B v SR22

Clearance to cruise at a given Mach number is also used by ATC to separate aircraft longitudinally on flights over non-radar covered areas, e.g. North Atlantic or South Atlantic.
Airliner performance tables in the POH or AOM like range etc are mostly based on Mach number.

Last Edited by nobbi at 08 Feb 15:27
EDxx, Germany

I guess this is also related to the trip cost index constraint that is coming from their OPS department.

LFMD, France

Ibra wrote:

otherwise why CAT can still use Mach numbers?

Probably because they’re often Mach number limited.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

when ATC says fly 240kts (never ask me that yet), I guess they are referring to IAS?

Correct. TAS for planning, IAS for sequencing.

EBST, Belgium

I thought it is N for nautical miles per hour :)

faa.gov
ENTER the True Air Speed for the first or the whole cruising portion of the flight, in terms of:
Kilometers per hour, expressed as K followed by 4 figures (for example, K0830), or
Knots, expressed as N followed by 4 figures (for example, N0485), or
True Mach number, when so prescribed by the appropriate ATS authority, to the nearest hundredth of unit Mach, expressed as M followed by 3 figures (for example, M082).

Last Edited by Snoopy at 07 Feb 19:58
always learning
LO__, Austria

airways wrote:

It is definitely TAS

Thanks I always wrongly thought it was IAS (otherwise why CAT can still use Mach numbers? but probably the assumption is CAT & GA don’t mix ), a last one when ATC says fly 240kts (never ask me that yet), I guess they are referring to IAS?

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Feb 18:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It is not KTAS that goes in FPL it is NIAS

It is definitely TAS

EBST, Belgium

tmo wrote:

Thread drift – why is it “KTAS” and in a flight plan we denote knots as N and kilometers as K? :-)

Probably because the abbreviations have different origins. The use of “N” for knots in flight plans is of course because the “k” in “knots” is silent so it is pronounced as “nots”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

RobertL18C wrote:

15/16 USGPH, an added benefit might be the ability to use skis and floats

That GPH is twice of a Mooney on similar KTAS (but can’t have it on floats/gass)
It is not KTAS that goes in FPL it is NIAS

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

15/16 USGPH, an added benefit might be the ability to use skis and floats. Never thought of the KTAS convention but it precedes Eurocontrol flight planning codes. :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
52 Posts
Sign in to add your message