Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Marchetti S.205

Has anyone flown or owned a Marchetti S.205? A few were sold in the US as the Waco 220, with a 220 HP Franklin, and I recently noticed a retractable S.205-22R version for sale inexpensively, apparently with a near new engine. The photo below shows an S.205 that is (or was) for rent in the UK so I thought it might be worth asking…

These were the ‘Italian PA-28’, in a way not unlike the Partenavia P.66 was the ‘Italian C-172’. Looks to have lots of room.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Jan 18:08

At our club there’s an S205 20/R, I know it’s quite roomy BUT according to it’s owner, it’s very slow (he averaged 110 knots) – which for a 200HP retractable with constant speed prop is positively pedestrian – he said it’s because it’s got a frontal aspect like a barn door. Our club flew down to Dubrovnik, two ‘rather large’ pilots flew that aircraft, they were sat in the front and apparently they were directly above the CoG. If one leant forward to grab something from on top of the dashboard, the plane tilted forward and vice versa when grabbing something from the rear seat. Whether that was the truth or an exaggeration, I don’t know. However I do recall making a photoshop montage of that aircraft with a D-F registration (typically SEPs <2000kg are D-E registered, D-F denotes SEPs with an MTOW between 2000kg and 5700kg) and calling them D-NZ Heavy…..

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 13 Jan 16:03
EDL*, Germany

Great info, thanks. I don’t suppose the one for sale with a 220 HP Franklin will be quick seller but with the engine being advertised as a few hours from factory new the advert intrigued me (Franklins are very smooth running engines). On the other hand there’s an NTSB report that it force landed into a field with damage, which may account for the new engine!

A friend of mine has one without an engine, which is available for sale. In it’s flying days, he’d visit my runway, which was 1700 feet long at the time, with no difficulty at all. I did not find the opportunity to fly it before the engine died, and was not replaced.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Pilot_DAR wrote:

A friend of mine has one without an engine, which is available for sale

How much is he willing to pay to have it removed?

Friend of mine used to own one and I have flown it across Europe a few times. Nice, stable airplane, from memory somewhat roomier than a PA28.

PM sent Silvaire

There appears to be only one of this unusual type in Canada, so I’m guessing this must be the one mentioned by @Pilot_DAR. This photo was taken in 2002 and there is another on the web taken in 1990 before the STC’d swept tail mod was added. It’s intriguing to imagine the level of enthusiasm that would have propelled somebody to make the tail mod on this plane in the 1990s

The windshield also appears to have been made more aerodynamic relative to standard.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Jan 01:12

Yes, that looks like it. I’d have to check the registration, but I doubt that Canada has two of these! The paint scheme is right.

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message