Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The transforming MV-22 Osprey

Not really GA but an interesting tour de force exercise in engineering

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sometimes we have V22 coming in LFMD, don’t know why but probably training in R138 where you can fire rockets and missiles ;). Interestingly the propeller 12m are bigger than DA40 length(8m).
The noise of engines is absolutely enormous, you wouldn’t want your neighbors playing with that ok Sunday morning…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 26 Jan 13:27
LFMD, France

We have many of them in my area… when four fly over in formation it makes the most unbelievable racket. One time as I was walking outside it was six. This is the only aircraft noise that bothers me, pretty much the only time I notice it despite a lot of GA overhead.

Funny they land at the only civilian field in the area.

For sure, noise is not a requirement in US military hardware

LFOU, France

They sometimes come over my house and even alone shake the place. A four-ship formation feels like the building is ripped apart……

Even here on the island we get to hear them once in a while as they are stationed on US aircraft carriers.
There are initiatives to develop civilian versions. How to reconcile the noise with use of them in urban areas?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Here’s one of a pair landing at Imperial, Ca., last week after flying an extremely slow and presumably noisy visual circuit (couldn’t hear it over my own engine). Thinks: “what’s the wake separation for these?”. Hmmm. The local wildlife seem keen to clear the area!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

tour de force exercise in engineering
agreed.

//threaddrift on
aart wrote:

How to reconcile the noise with use of them in urban areas?
That question is valid for every VTOL being developped at the moment, at a time where people file lawsuits because of the cock singing in the morning or the cows having bells around their neck, and I have yet to get any sort of answer or number from either of them.
//threaddrift off
ESMK, Sweden
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message