Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Psst, want a strategic bomber of your own?

Here is a Handley Page Victor (XH673). Free to good hands at RAF Marham.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I love the appearance of aircraft from this era, I could look at something like a Victor for hours and still wouldn’t be any closer to making sense of it in my head!

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

I wonder if it could be restored to airworthy condition. Though even if it could, a single flight would probably be prohibitively expensive…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok, certainly not this one. Allegedly, the condition of the structural elements is so dire that it is currently considered unsafe even as a static piece.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

They had wing spar crack problems, due partly to low flying while carrying nukes. So they converted them to tankers.

Maybe one could solve the cracks by moving them from G-reg to D-reg? Whoops you had to go the opposite direction for that

The Victor dates from the golden age of Great Britain and its great engineers, useless business managers, short sighted financiers (little changed there), and where if something could be bodged improvised that is how it was done. Also there was a clear enemy – the USSR – which kept everybody in focus. And, where the govt was paying, in “cost plus” contracts which would drag on nicely for years or decades…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unless you fly it “accidentally”

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Neil wrote:

Unless you fly it “accidentally”

One of the greatest ‘Oh Shit’ moments. Would have been fantastic to have had a Go Pro in the cockpit for that one. Maybe they did and it is now in landfill.

The legend himself…

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 23 Feb 16:29
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I always wondered why they landed it the way they did, as that was certainly not very regular. Or did they not have enough fuel on board to take it around a circuit and land it normally?

Amazing though that this did not result in any twisted underwear and action… makes me hopeful…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message