Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots had flown Cessna 172

just coming to my mind – what the number might had been? there were circa 43 000 of them produced. assuming 10 pilot per example we are at 430k. but 10 is a very conservative number for underused privately held examples only. Those examples in training business will have much higher numbers. so the total number of pilots will be above million for sure. or above 1.5 mil ?

LKKU, LKTB

We can start counting here and then try to make an educated guess based on number of people participating in forum and their percentage in whole pilot population.

Assuming you’re number one, I can be number two

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

A better counting would be to count who hasn’t Close to zero I would guess. Thinking about it, from the top of my head I have flown at least 7 different C-172s

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The first years I flew different Pipers, two AA-5B Tigers, an old Mooney, and even many happy hours in two C177RG Cardinals before trying a C172 for the first time. I recall it was something of a disappointment at first. I thought it was sluggish on the controls and had a cramped cabin, and I didn’t like loosing sight of the other planes in the circuit when turning. Now I rather like it, for its reliability and simplicity. I still do not fly C172 very often, but my electronic logbog says I have flown 18 different C172 registrations, ranging from the old 145-HP 6-cyl Continental-powered H-model to two G1000-equipped S-model airplanes, one of them a Thielert diesel conversion; and one XP with 195 HP and constant-speed prop (shouldn’t really count as it is on a different type certificate from other C172’s). It is hard to argue with a design that is still in production 65 years after it first flew.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

20 different registrations spread over 336 flights. Still prefer low wing.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

LeSving wrote:

A better counting would be to count who hasn’t

One is right here

Don’t know why, just happened that way. I flew C150 on which I learnt but somehow no 172 ever came my way.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I am pretty sure I have never flown a C172 but certainly have been in the back of one, about 20 years ago. Learnt on a PA38 and then a C152.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

After completing my PPL in an Aquila A210/211, I mostly flew C172s due to availability at my new base(s). First a C172R, now a C172N.

I still like the handling, ergonomics and view of the A210/A211 more, but capability wise you cannot compare them, as the Aquila is just a two-seater.

As a tall person at 1,92m, I found the C172 more comfortable than the TB20, as I have a lot more headroom. Of course, in other respects the C172 is inferior to a true travel machine.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I have flown 6 different C172s of which one was the Reims Rocket 210hp. The others were M, N, P and S models, some Reims some Cessna.

ESME, ESMS

I flew 172P, 172S on 160hp and the 172M with 180hp conversion and 1000h past TBO

MedEwok wrote:

Of course, in other respects the C172 is inferior to a true travel machine.

More a super capable “holiday travel machine”, long range tank version is a proper two seat touring machine: can carry 2 pob, full fuel, load of bags and load of holiday gear (e.g. folding bikes, surfing, snorkelling, swimming suits…), obviously, the weather has to be a holiday one: climb performance at MTOW in hot days is awful but those high wings are only good for camera views at 5000ft, but will do well in crappy weather as long as you are looking to go down not up or make it to destination

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Apr 14:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message