Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for Cessna 170/172/175

Hello guys, I am looking for nice project plane for me, it should be registered in EASA country, any long sitting hangar queen, or so. I would like to get C170/172/175 or so, ideally fastback (I would like to convert it to taildragger if it already isn’t :) ) I am licensed EASA aircraft mechanic and avionic, so I would like to find a plane, I can give a little care and love to: :)
I am going to sell my two ultralights (only 2 seaters) because for my family is it too small and I would like to travel with my wife and daugter, so I could afford any not so expensive piece of history. Older models are better for me. I checked all known european and some american sites, so I know what is on market, but nothing is great for me, and if so, I wrote to that adverts and most of them are sold, or have any issues I can’t deal with (corrosion…). I can install new radio, transponder, I can change some parts, perform inspections, annuals, and some works on engine, but I can’t do sheet metal works. :( So if you know about any of these planes, let me know. Thank you. :)

LKBU, Czech Republic

I’ll ask concerning a Reims 172 O300, has been very nicely „updated“ around 12 years ago, and since 10 years hasn’t really moved.

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Jelen,

Six years ago I was also looking for a C170 (with O-360 conversion, not the puny O-300). I couldn’t find one and bought a cheap (£26k) Maule. It had a low time engine and S-Tec 60-2 autopilot so the rest was effectively free. 700 hours later it seems to do much the same job as an old Cessna but with no corrosion worries, simple crash repairs, easy maintenance and abundant cheap parts.

A nice old C170 would be a joy to own and restore, but it might be worth keeping eyes open in other directions for a cheap four-seat taildragger.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

@Jelen am guessing you noticed 98.32% of GA is currently a ramp Mummy or Hangar Queen

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@Jacko I didn’t know Maule is so cheap. I saw many of them for $40K+. I would take any nice 4seater, taildragger is not must for me, since I have my Zlin 126, but it would be nice. Also high wing is good, if you have emergency landing to terrain, I can’t imagine, how I will escape from for example Grumman Tiger, if it will flip over. But for good price, I will take everything. But any 4 seat Cessna 100 series is on top of my list.

@Snoopy thank you, it would be great. Reims Cessna has anticorrosion prevention from factory, so I think there are smaller chance to encouner on rusty plane. However I saw corrosion on Reims Cessnas, but it was not so serious, like on American made planes.

LKBU, Czech Republic

@RobertL18C yes, but it would be better, in Czech is now GA allowed with some restrictions, but we can fly for fun now:)

LKBU, Czech Republic

There are some Stinson 108 projects in Europe. Tube and fabric but a very nice design with good STOL. This evolved from the L-5 used in WW2 but arguably stronger and more practical. Univair supports the airframe.

It competes with the Pacer, but I would suggest it is a better type.

One am aware of has a Lycoming, although the Franklin engine is a smooth engine but just needs knowledge and also sourcing parts, available but harder to get than a Lycoming.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Generally, Maules are not particularly cheap. If aircraft are cheap, it’s for a reason. But if the reason has more to do with the owner or the general economic circumstances than with the airplane… happy days.

Cessnas have much easier access to the front seats, so that’s a consideration for some big people. They also have a more “professional” build quality. On the other hand, loading even moderately bulky items like a 45 gallon drum into a C1xx looks like a struggle.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks guys, I will look around for more types. In USA is farm, where are Franklin engine parts for sale, but I don’t have contact yet.

LKBU, Czech Republic

Susan Prall in Jewett, Texas may be the Franklin parts contact you’re looking for. The company also has a Facebook page.

Franklin engine parts are not particularly easy to find, some parts are not available. Regardless, there always seems to be somebody trying to supply them.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Apr 18:25
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message