Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Importing a 1940 Ryan STM to the UK

Hi all,

I’m in the final stages of importing a neat little aircraft into the UK and I’m getting of conflicting information from all sides. At the risk of potentially getting even more confused, I would like to ask the group for any advice on the matter.

First off, I am a US citizen with an FAA licence. So I would like to keep the aircraft under the original N-reg, but the import company is insisting this is not possible. What is the current legal status of keeping N-regs in the UK?

Also, I’m hearing of a potentially discounted VAT rates for importing old aircraft, but no specifics. Does anyone have any experience in this topic?

Many thanks in advance

Arnaldo

EGLD, Netherlands

Q1: Does it have an ICAO CofA?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Are you “permanently relocating” to the UK? There might be VAT exemptions for personal property based on that, similar to those for expats returning back home. It might also cover other costs, like duties and excise taxes (if any on planes, it does on cars).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

An STM (not withstanding M meaning military) is I’m fairly sure operated in FAA standard category like an STA. (Edit – apparently I was wrong , see PS below) If that is the case, you would leave it on N-register and fly, case closed. If it is in Experimental Exhibition you will have a problem, as per Peter’s Q1 question. To be legal it would in that case have to put on a UK permit to fly.

A friend of mine was poking around the old Ryan factory before it was demolished a few years ago and found some ST parts

PS I looked at the FAA registry and apparently the only original Ryan STM is Bill Allen’s plane link, which is Experimental, I’m assuming Exhibition. Another one must’ve been an extensive rebuild/recreation and was licensed as an Experimental Amateur Built.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Apr 14:12

Would this be classified as a warbird? What is the situation in the intended base country?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

@Arnaldo, you state your base as the Netherlands, but want to import to the UK. Is that correct? If so, why? Where will the airplane ultimately live? AFAIK that last question is a big determinant in your case.

Would this be classified as a warbird?

They were certainly a WWII era trainer, and historically significant. They were built for the Dutch Air Force, a lightly militarized version of the Ryan ST. IIRC some went to the (then) Dutch East Indies before Japanese invasion, others were never shipped. I think all of them flying now are in Dutch markings, like this one

When the US needed trainers, they directed a redesign to remove the reputedly fussy Menasco engine and use a Kinner instead – that became the relatively ungainly but tougher US Army Air Corps PT-22.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Apr 20:08

If, as it appears, this plane is not an ICAO certified type, you can import it no problem (that import agent is talking bollox) but there is a 28 day maximum time for being based in the UK (same in France too).

Obviously nobody is going to enforce it if it is just sitting somewhere but it is one of those regulations which is “self enforcing” because (a) pilots tend to follow rules (even ones which don’t exist ) and (b) the insurance is likely to be void if you crashed it. In France one proposed solution is this and anyway I doubt many there are bothered but it means you have to operate “below the radar” which detracts from the utility value considerably.

Then you have this stuff and it is generally tighter for non European reg types.

This may also be of interest.

For a UK based pilot I think you need to put it on the G-reg (via the LAA system) or forget it. Well, you could fly it out of a farm strip, or between farm strips, without a transponder and never land anywhere “bigger”

Whether this type can go on the LAA system I have no idea but others here will know.

For a certified aircraft there is no issue operating in the UK. Brussels has mandated EASA pilot papers, so you need the FAA ones plus the European ones. There are no issues with Part 91 maintenance etc. There are not all that many FAA A&P (most tend to work for companies and are sensitive about freelancing) and there are much fewer A&PIAs, but one can manage. I’ve been N-reg since 2005.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

For a UK based pilot I think you need to put it on the G-reg (via the LAA system) or forget it

I don’t think the LAA is appropriate but there are CAA Permits to Fly for historic aircraft. The Vulcan operated on one, as do many other lesser warbirds

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yes; in the UK you can have an LAA Permit or a CAA Permit.

The Spitfires are on the CAA Permit, for example.

I wonder if @Carbon_copy might know about this one.

Administrator
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message