On Monday 11. May we will run the zoom meeting to discuss with several aircraft owners why and how they bought their own planes. The main questions are:
1. What were the main reasons for buying in general?
2. Which different types have you considered and why?
3. What was your main reason to decide finally for the chosen type?
4. Looking back: Are there any drawbacks or limitations in your aircraft compared to other types?
5. Does it make sense to continue flying your own aircraft instead of a rented one and if yes what are the main reasons?
We will have 4 speakers, each limited to 20 minutes. Every speaker is free to modify the questions to his needs.
Is it ok to throw in other questions here, that the speakers might be willing to address? Obviously it would be up to them individually if they wanted to address them or not, but it might helps make bring some more variety to the different speakers where some choose to address different questions?
Then I’d like to ask two questions.
1. How did you manage the process of doing a pre buy inspection? Eg how did you select someone suitable to do it, and would you do anything differently if you were to do it again?
2. How did you manage the process of payment and transfer of title? Obviously there can be very big sums involved, and both parties want to protect themselves. The seller doesn’t want to part with the aircraft until they are sure they are paid, and the purchaser doesn’t want to part with the funds until they are sure they are getting title to the aircraft. Did you use an intermediary, or was it just a matter of trust and possession? Would you do anything differently next time?
@duplinpilot Thank you for your questions! They are absolutely welcome!
Is it ok to throw in other questions here, that the speakers might be willing to address?
Every other question is welcome too.
My question would be : once you have estimated your average annual flying budget, how do you translate it to a range of aircraft ? How did you make sure you were bot buying too much airplane for your finances ?
This topic is a great idea.
I think this sounds like an extremely interesting / informative discussion topic. As I think about it there are quite a few questions that come to mind, both out of personal curiosity and what I’ve heard through broader discussions. Maybe the below will help as a sounding board for some points you may wish to touch on.
Purchase of aircraft
Ownership of aircraft – general
Ownership of aircraft – maintenance & other
Ownership of aircraft – cost mitigation
Sale / concluding points
It was a good presentation last night and thanks to those who did it.
Since we ran out of time, shall we run say a 1h Q & A session one evening in the next few days?
Thanks to the speakers. Very interesting!