Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autogyros - certification, and is anyone flying them?

I think you can buy a nearly new CH7 for under €100k. But although safer and much less sluggish and anaemic than a Robinson 22, they are not as much fun as a Mosquito, which is roughly half the cost.

The XE-285 is a single seater, but it’s a nice training helicopter. There’s so much spare power that a governor would be pointless. It is ridiculously easy to fly, somewhat like a Hughes 300, but much quicker on the controls and when you crack open the throttle and pull a bit of collective, something actually happens.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Thanks for the link to the XE285, Jacko!

Seeing it led me to daydreaming about buying one and using it for commuting to work with it (my hospital has a huge 100×100 helipad, certainly they could accommodate a small heli…)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Snoopy wrote:

I got a tour of our local unit once (EC135, 2x 800hp). They were in the process of getting night qualified using NVS goggles or similar, which took years and big $$$. What I gathered from that tour was that the rescue business isn’t trivial and lots of things need to align perfectly to make it work. The pilots explained that even a closely spaced sound barrier wall between two highway lanes can cause a crash in certain weather conditions. They are also very fit on mountain flying, rescueung tourists with broken bones (many germans/dutchmen) down from mountains (density altitude, terrain)

In my area we have a bunch of EC135s used as air ambulances and a couple of them operate from an area adjacent to my hangar. They seem to carry quite a bit of medical equipment as well as being military grade hardware themselves. The crew is at least three people. I’ve happily never had to be picked up by one but at least one or two motorcycling friends have had the ‘pleasure’ over the last three decades. They land in pastures and on mountain roads. I’m happy they’re available and could get me to a hospital fast if it were ever necessary.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Jul 16:11

Re crew of 3, maybe it’s similar in the US and EU? One of my friends works weekends flying as a HCM (helicopter crew member). They assist the pilot during flight (special charts, navigation, atc) and the doctor on the ground. He is qualified as ATPL (fixed wing) and paramedic.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 17 Jul 16:03
always learning
LO__, Austria

Like in road based rescue as well: One driver (with a paramedic training as well), one paramedic (that supports the driver with navigation, etc.) and one EMP.

Only difference at least in Germany: With road based rescue the EMP often comes with a different car while in HEMS he uses the same heli …

Germany

On 12 November a student on his second solo flight from Inverness Airport was killed when the Cavalon crashed.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

A bit late to this party… I have a friend who is a huge Gyrocopter enthusiast, though very frustrated because of the difficulty of owning one round here (it needs a hangar and hangars are $$$$$).

Anyway… he kind of talked me into a couple of flights in a Magni M-16. It is loads of fun, as someone said earlier like riding a motorbike at 1000 feet. I have a PPL-H which maybe gives me an advantage, but they are very easy to fly (just don’t even think about pushing hard). I guess it’s POSSIBLE to stall the rotor but you’d have to work at it. Zero airspeed descents are perfectly possible.

Modern autogyros are much safer than the ones from 20+ years ago. The Magni has an excellent record. The Cavalon has (according to him) a big problem with the way the nosewheel is arranged, meaning that if you land with it cocked you will roll over. Mostly harmless to humans (not always though), but fatal to the aircraft.

If you want a bit of encouragement, you can always look for Gyrocopter Girl on Youtube, though these days she seems to be more into the R66.

LFMD, France

Never long before that one comes up Curiously, I think she is Czech or something like that.

With 78k subscribers, it explains why some gyro pilots I have known got into it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

The above mentioned article makes specific mention of the Xenon C-44 MedEvac Gyrocopter, which is apparently able to transport a patient as well as two medical personnell.

I have to admit, I prefer the good old UH1D.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Just because it fits to the topic: Autogyro filed (the German equivalent of) chapter 11 yesterday – little hope for innovation coming from that side…

Germany
Sign in to add your message