Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

3 x RAF Harrier for sale - are these any good?

Here local copy

Can these even fly in IMC? I mean, can they navigate i.e. do they have a GPS? What about BRNAV? Can they even track to a VOR? I suppose they don’t need an IAP because you just stop and hover down, no? But can they hover in IMC?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You decide re. IFR. The avionics are listed. Getting type rated will take many hours unless already experienced. The maintenance and fuel cost per hour is reliebly reported to be many times that of a TB20.

Avionics:
Garmin GNC-420W GPS/Comm
ARC-182 Military #2 Comm for both UHF
and VHF communication
P.S. Engineering PM-1200 Intercom (for
ground crew coordination)
Garmin GTX-320 Transponder
Ameri-king Encoder.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

My guess is that shipboard aircraft quite commonly fly in IMC but don’t always file a flight plan with the local authority even when flying to a nearby pasture to visit friends and refuel.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jul 21:14

I am sure they flew what is called “Cloud Flying”? you can even go in formation on it with two way RT (loose on Compass/ASI and tight with DME-DME)

You don’t think they fly a published IAP, maybe a “no gyro PAR/SRA” but the runways tend to be 5km long but some old hardware did have ADFs, reason is climb gradients at approach speed on full power allows lower approach minima down to ground surface (plus a radar altimeter) and usually their extended flight path is obstacles free 10km away from the threshold, you need that for a long low-energy visual approach

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Jul 22:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Omg I absolutely loved flying these in the ArmA series of PC games. Not sure I would want an unarmed one though, as Harriers are perfect for blowing stuff up…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

@chrisparker used to fly them for real but he’s off sailing around the world

My original questions were obviously tongue in cheek. I think the DOC is roughly £40k/hour, according to figures published by the UK ministry of defence. Most fast jets are in that area, though an F16 would be about 1/2 the DOC of the Harrier.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

40k/hour is huge ! I guess it is a very complex airplane.

I could be lower if you can do the maintenance youself on a LAA permit. And you don’t have to maintain the weapon systems

The main selling point of the Harrier is that mowing your private airstrip is much quicker. But you need very accommodating neighbors That said, given its speed, you can live in a remote place and be back to civilization in no time !!

Ps : you even have a radar to detect all the non transponding traffic ! Great for the UK.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 29 Jul 06:42
LFOU, France

From the add:

“The aircraft has been a star attraction at airshows across North America for 13 years flying almost 200 hours.”

An average of not even 25hrs/yr tells a lot about cost of ownership and operation …

Germany

These are owned by Art Nalls, a quick Google brings up heaps of info.

He said in one video that this was done as a financial venture, so they were intending on at least breaking even from the airshow revenue. I’ve no idea if they did or not but he did the airshow rounds for 10 years with it, which is considerably longer than most old jets manage with a given owner.

In the info package about the aircraft it says the Sea Harrier was delivered in 1979 and has 1324 hrs TTSN! If this guy flew 200hrs since 2008 then he’s been flying it almost as regularly as when it was in service.

United Kingdom

Various American military publications suggest the following hourly running costs;

F22 $33,500
F35A $28,500
Harrier $13,750
F16 $8,000
A10 $6,000

Ex-military jets are not things you can skimp on maintaining, as was proved by the appalling accident with the Thunder City Lightning.

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message