Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Wow, that looks great!

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

Has anyone seen the price?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

140.000 dollars?

EHTE, Netherlands

Risen, Blackwing and the JMB VL3 seem to be the name of the game when it comes to speedy ULM’s. Look at what the Swedes achieved (with the Rotax 915iS):

https://www.blackwing.aero/news.aspx#WORLDRECORD

With the 600 kg spreading across Europe slowly but surely, these type of machines are serious travelers, albeit VFR. 2-seat with a reasonable payload.

Count on prices for these machines to be at or north of 200k€ once you have fitted them out with full options. Then add VAT. But of course the savings on fuel and maintenance are significant. And you can operate from fields with cheap fees and hangarage. The VL3 can be bought used.

Last Edited by aart at 16 Aug 10:13
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Risen is not only one of the fastest, it is also claimed to have an insane range at lower speeds: 1600 NM at 103 knots for the Rotax 912iS-powered version with a MTOW of 600 kg – enough to get from the Southern England to Tenerife, or from Cabo Verde to Brazil.
VL3 has a similar range, too.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 16 Aug 10:27
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Blackwing thread.

Yes it seems to be above 200k.

The sales of these machines – a previous thread somewhere – are actually very low. Also VFR in these needs permits so that 1600nm flight would need quite some planning.

It is very interesting what performance gains can be achieved if the cockpit size is reduced. However not having a vertical stabiliser also reduces drag.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If the claim is 103kts at 7LPH & 1600nm is true, I am buying when I am 2-seats only, I doubt the aircraft will ever fly comfortable and safely at 180kts due to low wing loading neither at low altitudes and flutter at high altitudes (it’s uncertified and I am not a racing pilot !!!) but the low speed figure is mind blowing: you can fly any mission with good backup plan on 1600nm range !

The price reflect some of the capability rather than just the shinny plastic look

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Aug 10:36

Indeed, ranges of these machines are impressive. But you need some flesh on your butt to sit that long, as the seats are not plush. Add that the cabin is a little tight height-wise. My length is 1.91 cm and I did not fit comfortably the cockpit of the VL3. They have an option to lower the seats a bit, but then it’s almost as if you legs are straight forward which is prob40 not comfortable for hours on end. The Blackwing was a bit better, did not try the Risen. But of course if you are less tall no problem at all, you may even add a cushion for comfort.

Last Edited by aart at 16 Aug 10:40
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Range means landing after 2h with full tanks without fuelling to check weather in my jargon

24 Posts
Sign in to add your message