Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Swiss Army Knife Cessna T182T

https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=49472 planecheck_NOREG_49472_pdf

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2001/june/pilot/cessna-t182t-turbo-skylane

These are 160 KTAS at FL150 with around 800NM range. This one has upgraded GPS and engine OH, and a good maintenance history, and I expect the OH before TBO was due to low utilisation.

They are also reasonably STOL competent. On a retractable vs turbo argument I would go for the turbo, especially on this proven design.

Am thinking of @Peter comment on what types might be suitable for crossing the Alps IFR. Obviously piston is a light IFR, machine in my books, so weather can obviously lower the dispatch rate.

The new generation 182 are quite lardy, with empty weight around 2000lbs compared to1700 lbs on the early, now back in fashion 182A. perhaps this one with analogue six pack is slightly less than 2000lbs.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Outside of the Alps, and when called for by weather, nobody flies much unpressuized aircraft much above FL100.

So things like

160 KTAS at FL150

are not really „real life“. More like 150 at FL100. At 14 GPH… Not impressive. Cruise efficiency is just not good in 182s.

But yes, short field performance is good, despite these being heavy. I am just back from a short trip to Italy in a 2006 18T. Doing just great in takeoffs and landings (it lifts of at 36 knots indicated…). But once you are in cruise it is of course not as efficient as other aircraft. But better than the Turbo ones… 140 knots at 11.3
GPH at FL100.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Sep 11:28
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

My TR182 is about the closest thing there is in piston ASEL to “go anywhere”. It will happily operate out of a 1500’ field, is good for FL200 and will do 155 at non-oxygen altitudes, 170 up at FL200 where the turbo will still give you 25". It does this on 14 gph. It has built-in oxygen, although I confess it’s a long while since I’ve used it. Wearing a cannula is no more an issue than wearing a headset or a helmet (not that I wear a helmet in the plane, but I do on my bike).

It’s not FIKI of course, so crossing serious mountains is still a good-weather thing. By “serious” I mean Sierra Nevada or Alps, not Snowdonia.

LFMD, France

Amusing take on the 182

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message