Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Issoire Aviation APM-40, and APM-41 Simba et al

10 Posts

Hello,

Ever since first learning about the Issoire APM-20/30/40/41 series I’ve been intruiged by them. They both look great (and as such, should fly well, right? ) and (especially the APM-30/40) have an attractive combination of performance and economy in their layout, MTOW and engine options.

Does anyone have experience in purchasing/importing one of these to anywhere else than France? Are they even manufactured? I have seen videos online with the APM-20/30 suggesting that at least those variants have been sold to the public. I’ve tried contacting Issoire Aviation directly but suspect I’d need to beef up my French in order to get any response whatsoever.

Any ideas regarding the cost of translating the POH and technical documentation, such as enabling a local mechanic to work on the aircraft?

Last Edited by Dahlbeck at 29 Sep 09:43
ESSL, Sweden

My aéroclub wanted to buy an APM in 2008, but they never showed up when they were supposed to bring the demonstrator aircraft. It’s a shame because we would have much preferred a French plane to support national GA. We eventually bought an Aquila A210.

I might have an old magazine article somewhere. There’s a thread here https://www.euroga.org/forums/aircraft/2854-apm-40-simba which has a bit of info

Where would you be exporting to?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Yeah, I saw someone, maybe Peter (at Shoreham) mention that they don’t seem to care about selling them. Probably busy making fighter, helicopter and missile parts…

I’m based in Sweden.

ESSL, Sweden

I don’t think it was me; I have never heard of this aircraft

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have a few hours in an APM20. Great airplane, glides very well, but can be tricky in some situations. About 95-100 knots with a 80hp.
Issoire seems very unmotivated to sell. They have zero communication, they are at zero airshows etc… The last time i read about them is when they complained in a french magazine that Elixir’s marketing is false because they (Issoire) used the same techniques 15 years ago. They seem to be a bit late in the battle if you see what I mean.
About 30 APM20/30 were sold to french clubs. Many sold theirs in the last few years because many club members just prefer their Robins. Some clubs OTOH specialize in APMs. It is a love it/hate it kind of airplane. Support seems good enough, they wrote several SBs increasing MTOW, easing maintenance etc….
My club had an APM30. I am told they sold it because the certified rotax 912 requires many part inspections and replacement (gearbox), which became cost prohibitive. Maybe it can be relaxed with Part ML or something else.

Never heard of an APM40 sold anywhere. A real shame.

LFOU, France

Dahlbeck wrote:

Any ideas regarding the cost of translating the POH and technical documentation, such as enabling a local mechanic to work on the aircraft?

The real answer is I don’t know. However, I imagine that it might be possible that the translation would have to be “certified”, or made by the TC holder themselves. Plus, you may have to show to the authority that every update, every SB, etc will also be translated in the future. Not to downplay the power of passion if you truly want to embark on it, but that could be… expensive if you organise it yourself, and … difficult to obtain from a TC holder that doesn’t even return your emails about actually buying the plane?

ELLX

Thank you all for your input. It seems indeed that Issoire are not too keen to sell their aircraft, especially outside of France. Too bad. I believe there is a niche to fill with this type of aircraft as, “slightly heavier than microlights / UL” but not as heavy (or expensive to buy and run) as the traditional four-seater types.

I suspect this kind of aircraft (as in the APM-30 or APM 40/41) could serve well for a typical family of two adults with one or two kids, where the pilot might fly a lot or his or her own or with one of the family members for local flights and still have the option to bring everybody along, at least with minimal baggage and perhaps limited endurance, but still be able to get somewhere…

Something like the Sling TSi would probably be another option with similar specs, but AFAIK only available as a kit aircraft.

ESSL, Sweden

Dahlbeck wrote:

Something like the Sling TSi would probably be another option with similar specs, but AFAIK only available as a kit aircraft
The Sonaca 200 is the certified version.
ESMK, Sweden

But the Sling TSi has 2 seats more than the Sonaca.

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

TSi
The 3 letters I that make a whole difference. My bad.
ESMK, Sweden
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message