Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

We bought an early Siai Marchetti SF260

@Norflyer
How does it work with the new avionics? Is an stc needed (available for the Marchetti)? Or can a G3X/G500 be installed using C-STAN?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

How does it work with the new avionics? Is an stc needed (available for the Marchetti)? Or can a G3X/G500 be installed using C-STAN?

The avionics will be installed under STC. Most of the Garmin stuff has a pretty broad AML. Quite a few other bits and pieces will be under CS-STAN.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Happy Holidays flying friends! Santa’s new ride isn’t quite airworthy yet, but he’ll use the Commander tonight ;)

ENEG

I think you should retain that Siai logo on the tail, nice period graphics

Silvaire wrote:

I think you should retain that Siai logo on the tail, nice period graphics

Absolutely. I have “digitized” both logos, and they will be stenciled on the new scheme.

ENEG

I’ve copied the digitized files – they’re awesome.

I need a continuing reason to save cash monthly so have started the ‘Marchetti Fund’… Please continue to post updates. Mine will be least 35 years old so as to be property tax exempt in my area, and in FAA Experimental Exhibition to allow easier maintenance procedures. A project plane is a possibility if the right one came along. I’m hedging my bet by doing the paint & cosmetics on my current plane, good experience, but it’s also good to have a long term plan

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Dec 15:47

Hi, Compliments of the season from another SF260D owner. I’m new on this site. (I and was looking for something else.) I was interested in Marchettiman’s experiences in fuel management. If it helps, my experiences are identical.

In my case, using the “both tip tanks” choice requires that I periodically revert to right tip only as the fuel is taken from predominantly the left tank. You become aware that the ball is drifting further from the centre as the fuel imbalance increases. The difference can be a few gallons.

When running a tank dry, there is a momentary surge or roughness coinciding with the fuel pressure warning light coming on. The time from onset of symptoms to engine cutout is very short, seconds. Pump on and swap tanks has the engine running again in just a few seconds.

I’m frustrated by the uncertainty about wing tank contents. It takes very little depletion to leave bare metal in the bottom of the tank. You are left uncertain about the amount of fuel in the tank although it can still be reasonably full, but it could be empty. I’d be interested to hear if Marchettiman has a way of estimating actual fuel in the wing tanks in a walk round before flight. When flown to dry, my wing tanks have about 250mL left so most of the placarded capacity can be used.

I made a dipping stick for the tip tanks. If you’d like a photo and the measurements to allow you to get an accurate idea of the amount of fuel in the tip tanks, I’d be happy to post this.

Kirknewton EGKT and Dornoch, United Kingdom

Norflyer,
I’m just across the water, in northern Scotland.

Kirknewton EGKT and Dornoch, United Kingdom

There is an early 260 in Hampshire – the charismatic owner, applies to all Marchetti owners :), claims the earlier ones may have been a bit sportier in handling. Am sure handling differences between the early and later variants were quite subtle.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

“I’m just across the water, in northern Scotland”
Did you draw the Christmas tree? I think there are more than one SM in the North.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message