Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

We bought an early Siai Marchetti SF260

or primer only.

I would not do that. Primers have negligible UV resistance, and crack up after some months. I have used some epoxy primer (what one would hope would be the ultimate performance primer) on the plane, for touch-ups, and UV just kills it. One must use a UV resistant topcoat, and usually it is in the form of a lacquer.

The main drawback of spray painting is that it needs considerable skill – as well a very good environmental control (and the very biggest in GA have screwed up in that department – but on an engine frame the skill doesn’t matter because a little drip or run here and there won’t matter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This weekend’s update; Assembly has started. Landing gear should be done by next weekend. Plan is also to have the fuselage stripped and ready for primer by end of next week. Also, avionics guy is back Monday and will start making the new wiring harness.

Till next weekend. Cheers.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Lovely work!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Lovely work!

Thank you sir.

Time for a weekend update.

Unfortunately, due to scheduling issues the stripping of the fuselage is postponed till next week. The avionics guy is back in the shop so we have spent the week finalizing the panel design and mockup. Have to move the screens up a bit to fit the switches and breakers, but I’m happy with the overall design.

Cheers.

Last Edited by NorFlyer at 30 Jan 17:06
ENEG

Nice avionic setup. Do you know if that weighs less than the same setup by conventional steam gauges?

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

Nice avionic setup. Do you know if that weighs less than the same setup by conventional steam gauges?

Thanks. Everything is weighed in/out, but I don’t have the numbers here. Around 15 kgs savings including the boxes in the back.

ENEG

Ok, sounds good! Thanks!

ESSZ, Sweden

Finally quite a bit of progress this week. Fuselage is stripped and almost ready for primer and paint. Neutralizing the stripper outside in -15 was left to the foreman ;) Cowling, fairings, rudder and stab will be stripped and prepped this weekend. Avionics guy is at it. Mounted the panel in the cockpit to check for fit and of course had to “test sit”. The SF260 is pretty tight. I’m 193cm and pretty broad shouldered, and will just fit. Helmet and parachute is a different question….

Next week is going to be a lot of fabrication, avionics shelf in the tail, smoke system base and a temporary paint booth. Also have to finalize the design and order paint. Engine is almost ready from overhaul so have to get the mount magnafluxed and coated. Aiming for finished fuselage and engine mounted by end of month.

As a side project I’m building a Honda CB750 cafe racer to match the plane, so I need to get the tank fabricated and prepped to be painted alongside the fuselage.

Hope everyone is well in covid world. Cheers.

ENEG

The series of posts show an awesome rate of progress over perhaps only 10 weeks calendar time. Even considering multiple people involved, just planning and distributing the work is quite a task on a project like this, always assuming the people are available when you need them.

Nice post. Thanks. Life is too short for netflix and chill;)

ENEG
Sign in to add your message