Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Registering aircraft in Germany (G-Reg -> D-Reg)

Hi all,

I used to live in the UK (I am French) and now live in Germany. I own a Cirrus SR20 registered in the UK (G-Reg) and have recently converted my LAPL license from a CAA to an LBA one. I understand I now need to register my aircraft in Germany (before Brexit, time is running out…). Does anyone have any experience with this? I have looked at the various forms and paperwork I have to do and it seems frightening. My understanding is that I need to do it in the following order (please confirm):

- De-register my aircraft from the UK using the CAA Form CA71
- Reserve a registration number (already done)
- get a weight & balance certificate from a local workshop
- get an Approval Certificate (Zuteilungurkunde) of the “Bundesnetzagentur”. (I haven’t yet found out how to get this one)
- Notify your insurance of re-registration and ask them to sign a pre-fill form that will be sent to the LBA
- Put the registration letters on your aircraft and take pictures (the need to look “bland” like black on white without shadow or italic, nice…)
- Send the LBA form Nr 05 (T4) (application for registration) together with all the necessary papers (bill of sale, id, copy of flight manual, CofA, ARC, and all the papers above)
and wait…

Am I missing anything here? Anyone has experience with this process, that would help me a lot. Thank you

-

EDFE, Germany

Hi. We did exactly that change with our Commander Dec 2019-Jan 2020.
It didn’t sound very complicated but we went through our CAMO who did all the paperwork.
The actual work (re-lettering) was done by a maintenance shop.
I think the sequence you mention is about right except I don’t think a new W&B was required.
The aircraft will of course be grounded during the process until the new ARC is obtained.
That can be anything between 1 and 2 months as it depends mainly on how the German bureaucracy works.
I recommend highly to use a CAMO as they have all the contacts.
(our CAMO was really helpful, I can provide you the details if you wish)
Trying to deal with the German administration yourself may or may not work and cost some nerves.
Just my five cents of advice.
Bonne chance et courage !

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Form “Request for aircraft radio call sign” of Bundesnetzagentur link
here

Explanation in english at the end of the document.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 04 Dec 22:23
always learning
LO__, Austria

A number of German pilots went to G to avoid Cessna spar inspections, and then went back to D due to brexit.

It is probably something the LBA is familiar with

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cyrrus wrote:

Put the registration letters on your aircraft and take pictures (the need to look “bland” like black on white without shadow or italic, nice…)

Additionally required iirc
- fireproof plate on tail section (next to cirrus s/n plate)
- registration mark in cabin
- reprogramming of transponder
- reprogramming of ELT

Some reg examples on Cirrus

always learning
LO__, Austria

Last time I did check all those callsign styles shown had not been ok. Everybody does it but apparently the shadows are not ok and also this dash needs to be longer. But as I was the one to pay the bill the aircraft painter did the callsign how I did like it anyway. Back then one could also file a special form to get an exception but we did not go that route. But in that case the painter did release the plane. Now if a picture has to be sent to LBA I am not sure what happens…

PS : I looked up some Lufthansa registrations and I think that is how it is supposed to look like. Boring font and long dash. Also a German flag will be required on the plane…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

If you want a fancy call sign design, I would go for a adhesive material, only ;-)
The LBA usually asks for a pic to check on registration and flag and they are not known to be style fans. They may reject it for lack of contrast, shadows… – which pauses the process.
Put a bland and right size black on light/white on dark (dcfix are alike) on, add the flag and take a pic. Thereafter you are fairly free ;-) there are many examples of smallish, stylish, colourful registrations out there… never heard of trouble afterwards.
It is just that one moment…

The wrapping foil type stuff is pretty strong and even sticks reliably to wide bodies at much higher altitudes and speeds. But can be removed, IF someone were to take issue with it later…

EDM_, Germany

A number of German pilots went to G to avoid Cessna spar inspections, and then went back to D due to brexit.

Which turned out unnecessary and thankfully, due to part-ml is a thing of the past.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Sebastian_G wrote:

Also a German flag will be required on the plane…

I was going to mention this. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a German registered aircraft without a German flag on the tail. What’s the history behind this?

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Traditions and regulations carried over from the maritime world ?

Nympsfield, United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message