Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why do some aircraft have T-tails?

HK-36R wrote:

Not really sure, if this is really true. Even for non T-tail gliders, the elevator is generally one piece: Libelle, Ka6, Ka8, Fox, Swift, …

Obviously, if we get into the details, it gets more complex. But generally yes: There have also been gliders where the elevator has been mounted in front of the vertical stabilizer (Ka8, Standard-Libelle) or behind them (esp. Aerobatics-gliders like Fox, Swift).

My impression is, that these are mainly 50ies and early 60ies designs and later on they moved away from it: The KA-6E had a two part elevator. The Club-Libelle a T-Tail (as far as I remember as I have flown the KA-6E but never a Libelle)…
And have to admit: Forgot about the Ka-8 – so long ago since last time I had to put it in a trailer…

Germany

Contamination on the elevator like ice from a dripping leaky hangar roof is easily detected on a normal tail, but I almost missed it one winter day preflighting my T-tail Grob 109B TMG. Generally low surfaces are good when preflighting. Ever wondered why Cessnas run out of fuel more often than Pipers? One likely reason is that visual inspection of the fuel takes a climb on the Cessna.

I regularly fly Piper Arrows with both tail configurations and do not think much about differences except during take-off. The t-tail is of course out of the slipstream and it is not possible to rotate until there is elevator authority from the airspeed alone. For this reason the t-tail Arrow is not suitable for soft-field take-offs – it is not possible to unload the nosewheel early or to lift off early to build up speed in ground effect.

The Arrow’s big brother, the PA-32R(T) Lance, has the same. It also comes with either normal or T-tail. Due to the long cabin and a larger CoG envelope, the effect of the t-tail is even more marked, and there is a note in the POH performance section to add 25% to the take-off run if the CoG is in the forward part of the envelope.

I find that the T-tail versions have more rudder authority in crosswind landings, especially on the PA-32R(T) Lance. Apart from that, and the elevator during take-off, I do not find much handling difference, not even in the stall.

Last Edited by huv at 10 Jan 11:15
huv
EKRK, Denmark
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message