Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jimmy‘s World

This guy bought an old 6 seater and revives it video by video giving a pretty authentic idea of what’s involved while keeping it lighthearted.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Quite interesting watching what he is doing.

The airplane was quite a sound investment I think despite the fact that it had not flown for a while it had been maintained and the engine run regularly.

But if he wants to keep it affordable, I have to wonder why he replaces the autopilot setup, aged but servicable, with something inferior. A Piper lateral axis with an STEC vertical axis can do pretty much everything you ever need to do, a Trutrack he is about to install can’t even fly an ILS….

Well.. interesting anyhow. I do like his approach to ownership however.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Interesting story. This proves long runups are one way to keep an engine from corroding.
I am not sure, did he inspect the airplane deeply before buying it ? Or was it after ?

This guy is well kwown too :

The trutrak has some advanced functions and misses some basic ones. Strange setup.

LFOU, France

That’s actually quite a good review of that autopilot. I posted it in the Trutrak thread. No way would I want it for European IFR flying – especially as flying an approach with it is illegal!

It shows you can get lucky buying a cheap plane. Some people do “price to sell”. I know someone who sold a nice TB20GT for something like £110k and there are lots of old pre-GTs advertised for a lot more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

No way would I want it for European IFR flying – especially as flying an approach with it is illegal!

I guess you could fly a non-coupled approach using the track mode. If the A/P is good at keeping track that should work quite well.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 27 Jan 09:59
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The flying monkey guy is good too, I think he has some background in film and knows to tell a story.

I prefer the Jimmy’s world type though, his „watch me go bankrupt“ and „son of a B-ench test“ stuff is hilarious. And, while he is funny, the videos are technically quite in depth and interesting.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The interesting bit about both of those is that the Cherokee 6 is actually a very capable airplane and for the bang it has in some cases quite cheap to buy.

Basically the same layout as the Seneca but with one engine and with a performance which allows almost everything a normal Cherokee 180 can do but with much more space in the cabin. I can see families loving that plane in comparison to some other rather tight airplanes.

Nice write up on the Cherokee 6 series

It’s actually flying now!

What can I say, congrats on a long restoration project!

I find it so amazing how Americans buy airplanes like they were cars. So typical there to buy an aircraft before your first lesson and train in it. I don’t think this happens in Europe at all?

EDDW, Germany

Alpha_Floor wrote:

So typical there to buy an aircraft before your first lesson and train in it

Not so typical but not so uncommon… I did basically the same.

I’d guess the 100 tach hours since the Cherokee 6 was last in Annual were done at 2400 rpm or so, with the landing gear struts extended. The maintenance logs were probably ‘lost’ because all the airframe work on the plane was done by the previous owner, unsupervised, while he flew it. The current IA will have now inspected the ‘as found’ work, rectified any issues and signed it off. A fairly common story except for the story of what the plane might have been doing over the 100 hrs tach time.

The plane doesn’t care about any of that. Nice to see Jimmy buying it inexpensively, lining up a helpful IA beforehand and doing the subsequent work himself. Obviously a hard working character under that ‘Florida’ veneer He’s now rewarded by what looks to be a good utilitarian plane.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Apr 23:41
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message