Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

After years of contemplating...

Our tapered wing is still pretty forward CG sensitive to be honest, but maybe that says more about the loading in the front seats than anything else!

I would also say I don’t notice any nose heaviness except under one condition, if landing full flap and then retracting them full for a touch and go, I find I need to to pull a fair bit to rotate again – either that or wind aft trim on whilst re-configuring but I don’t really like trimming on the ground like that.

United Kingdom

What I see in the landing video is perfectly normal for a straight wing PA28.

If you hold it off until stall warner, there is no way to keep the nose well off the ground for very long.

There is no way to lift the nosewheel on take off either. If you keep the yoke fully back for the take off run, then as soon as the nosewheel lifts, you’ll lift off the runway.

That’s just how they are :)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Snoopy, does it stay outside ?
Will you offer IR instruction in it ?

LFOU, France

It has two homes. A hangar in NL and an apron spot in AT.

I might do some the favor and instruct IR in it (around 30-60h per year).

always learning
LO__, Austria

dublinpilot wrote:

That’s just how they are :)

Copied, thanks DP!

Here is a typcical

Mom+Dad+2 Kids+Daytripbags+3h fuel (and another hour reserve) configuration

Would adding some weight (or even ballast) behind the rear seats and thus getting CG further aft help in cruise speed increase (less elevator deflection)?

PS: That WB makes me smile everytime… quite capable considering its/it‘s <1000kg MTOW.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 19 Jun 20:23
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

PS: That WB makes me smile everytime… quite capable considering its/it‘s <1000kg MTOW.

Yes perfect for 2 adults & 3 bags (sorry it’s harsh on kids )

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Jun 20:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Would adding some weight (or even ballast) behind the rear seats and thus getting CG further aft help in cruise speed increase (less elevator deflection)?

It’s a while since I flew the PA28-140. Most of my time is now on the Arrow II. But I can’t say that I noticed any difference in the cruise speed by using a rear loading in either the 140 or the Arrow II.

I appreciate the theory says yes, but any difference seems to get lost in the difference between weight, fuel level, temperature, air pressure, fight level, inaccuracies in setting the exact same power setting and turbulence from one flight to the next.

You’re likely to gain far more by choosing the right flight level on the day and flying and leaning accurately than you are by changing to a more rear c of g.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Snoopy wrote:

In theory yes, in practice I doubt you’ll see much of a difference, particularly with Pipers and their full moving elevator.

I’ve read about speed mods at the time and there are many. Gap seals, there are custom wing tips and some others I’ve forgotten now. Some folks claim they get up to 120 kts this way. Obviously this also depends strongly on the prop pitch.

Out of interest, how is the back wall of the cabin in your plane? Do you have the hat rack, which also gives you a marginal baggage area aft of the rear seats or do you have the straight up wall, which has no space at all? The plane I looked at had that and it would have been the first thing for me to change. They are available still and don’t need an STC or anything as they are original equipment.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 20 Jun 19:41
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I’ve read about speed mods at the time and there are many. Gap seals, there are custom wing tips and some others I’ve forgotten now. Some folks claim they get up to 120 kts this way. Obviously this also depends strongly on the prop pitch.

Read all about it, my conclusion is it’s vaporware/snake oil. Maybe it can bring 3, 4 or 5 knots, but not 20.
The easy upgrade to get a 28-140 to fly 120kts is to buy another plane ;)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Out of interest, how is the back wall of the cabin in your plane? Do you have the hat rack, which also gives you a marginal baggage area aft of the rear seats or do you have the straight up wall, which has no space at all? The plane I looked at had that and it would have been the first thing for me to change. They are available still and don’t need an STC or anything as they are original equipment.

Straight wall. I did manage to put some stuff behind the rear seats (eg beach bags, towels etc…).

Are you sure the hatrack wall can be added without STC? It would be nice to have, but I wouldn’t put anything heavy backt there for safety reasons…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Some folks claim they get up to 120 kts this way.

I intend to ask @Graham to kindly provide an aerial notarial service in the interest of confirming (or not) that the gap seals and Metco tips on my Warrior provide an honest 125 KTAS at 70-75%, and around 5 knot reduction in Vso.

Technically only 3-5 knots above book speeds, and Piper book speeds have usually being reliable, but the PA28 likes to be operated at 70% power, and not the 55% of typical club power settings.

Check the RPM/Altitude chart for correct power settings.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message