Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB with four levers

Guess what the leftmost one does?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Carb heat – that’s what ours looks like.

I like to cover the span of all four with my hand during the take-off roll and pretend it’s a 747.

:-)

EGLM & EGTN

Four-lever operation is so cool!

Germany

First time I’ve seen a turbocharger lever! Is that a Comanche?

Last Edited by NinerEchoPapa at 15 Apr 18:34
EDLN/EDLF, Germany

…and Peter’s picture is from a TB-10. Just had a nice training flight in at TB-10 GT last weekend.

EKRK, Denmark

NinerEchoPapa wrote:

First time I’ve seen a turbocharger lever! Is that a Comanche?

And there aren’t many possibilities to see this type of setup. There have been 26 factory built Turbo Comanches with this lever-type adjustment of the wastegate. It really feels like a second throttle in climb. I don’t know, though, how many aircraft still fly around with this type of configuration, including maybe other types (but not, for example, the Twin Comanches, which use a knob-like adjustment of the wastegate)

Peter, sorry I couldn’t resist to add my “four lever foto” here, and your initial question had been answered before…

Germany

I’ve seen Lake Amphibians with a turbo charger control. Uncommon, but there are some…

If the engine is a PT-6 turbine, that lever would be the stand by throttle, a fully manual control, in case the fuel control unit fails (which I have had happen). The standby throttle is more sensitive, and without some protections against exceedances, but will get you home. On Cessna Caravans, they are typically copper wire locked off, so pilots do not use in error, but I have used that control while doing engine set up in a Turbo Beaver, so got the hang of it then…

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Very interesting – never seen it before.

What is the purpose of this lever?
Is there a limit for max continuous MAP that is lower than peak and therefore you can add some “extra power for climb”? Or is that more a method to save fuel?

How do you operate it in practice?

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

It releases the mighty mouse.

ESME, ESMS

Malibuflyer wrote:

Is there a limit for max continuous MAP that is lower than peak and therefore you can add some “extra power for climb”? Or is that more a method to save fuel?

@Malibuflyer I assume you mean the Turbo Comanche setup I’ve shown above? It is a manually operated wastegate for a turbonormalized engine. I can only increase to standard pressure 1013.25 hPa or 29.8"Hg, not more. Else you blow the engine. It’s as simple like that. And because it is so simple to blow the engine, there are only very few around. If you know what you’re doing you can run the engine far more efficient, but if not, well, there is an overblow valve, but you’ve won a complete overhaul.

Last Edited by UdoR at 02 Dec 09:56
Germany
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message