Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

1999kg Piper Meridian - payload?

I vaguely recall there is an STC for this, but that EASA won't accept it, so it has to be N-reg.

Does anyone have any info on it?

What would be the payload situation? The Meridian is about 2300kg so you would lose 300kg from the payload.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As with the Jetprop, if you have a 1999kg STC you essentially are contracting to fly overweight. The BEW of mine is 1580kg. So you would have 420kg payload.

EGTK Oxford

I think the Jetprop is always 1995kg or so. It's never a 2000+kg airplane.

The Meridian is much heavier, slower, thirstier with less useful load, etc....

Yes Achim, I know, worse SFC etc....... I still get there before you though.

Jetprops are fine but are essentially always overloaded. They can have a pilot, or fuel but not both.

EGTK Oxford

Jetprop DLX specs

MTOW is 4300lbs which is 1950kg.

Empty weight is 2950lbs (1338kg) for the standard version. At full fuel the payload is only 356 lbs (161kg) so not much but you can leave some of the 150 gallons at the fuel station.

Still a great aircraft, if I were to step up, this would be the one or maybe the Extra 500 if it makes progress. I'm not a fan of the PT6, it's a rather inefficient turbine compared to the others but basically without competition in the 500+ hp category (Garrets are rare).

Not a single JP weighs the "standard" weight. That is a marketing document. I am not saying it won't fly if overweight to be clear - but I wouldn't want to make an insurance claim with 4 people on board.

Oh yes, the PT-6 will never take off - it is too inefficient. Pratt have a dog on their hands....

EGTK Oxford

The Jetprop maintains the MTOW of the piston airframe. This can be 1860kg, 1950kg or 1970kg depending on model year.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Oh yes, the PT-6 will never take off - it is too inefficient. Pratt have a dog on their hands....

Yes Jason, the PT-6 is fantastic, and a product's success only depends on its technical qualities, there are no other factors involved. The fact that a PT-6 burns about 20% more fuel for the same power output compared to a Garret is actually an advantage of the PT-6. It's just pure envy that I can't afford a Meridian that made me say these things.

It's just pure envy that I can't afford a Meridian that made me say these things.

Hey relax, I didn't say that. I am merely pointing out that efficiency is not the only factor. The PT-6 is very reliable. Has great support etc. and is the most successful turboprop engine ever. It must have something going for it?

And a Jetprop is not cheaper than a Meridian of the same age so I don't know why you suggest that is my point.

Lets not start to make EuroGA seem like Flyer. We are all discussing aircraft. That was a cheap shot.

EGTK Oxford

What are the payloads of the two, with full fuel?

I ask this because on just about every significant flight I load full fuel and neither of these appears to have even the range of the TB20, although it's close enough.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
54 Posts
Sign in to add your message