Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is ownership worth it?

In agreeing.with much of.what has been said in the last 2 posts, I am not sure we will have to wait that long before we begin to see if there is a correlation between the various factors.
The UK has already restarted tourism to countries like Portugal. There were in pre Covid times, cheap air fares. It will not be long before we see whether there are still cheap air fares, how many people travel to Portugal and how many use GA in one of its forms.
IMO more will no doubt use their own aircraft. Higher net worth families might well consider some sort of air taxi service.
I believe in the Algarve some 70% of tourists come from the UK.

France

If this is true, it will be interesting to see if results in a lot of aircraft up for sale in a few years.

GA isn’t a great way of getting around the place for most families.

If requires an IR to have a good dispatch rate (at least in Northern Europe) and most GA aircraft can’t carry a full family and holiday luggage.

The partner that likes the idea of avoiding a large airport tends to change their mind after a holiday is cancelled or delayed due to bad weather along the route and they can’t being their suitcase.

GA travel is more of a niche than a faster version of a car.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

hmng wrote:

4 seats, new, certified.

Tecnam P2010?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

dublinpilot wrote:

GA travel is more of a niche than a faster version of a car

It make sense when GA travel is used to go to places where it’s way more hassle by air, train, car
It’s shooting yourself in the foot if going to places where 1h car, train, air is better

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@172_driver

US has way more utility for GA ever since, so maybe the use of SEPs for travel increased a bit due to corona. I don’t think it’s even measurable though. Those that flew SEPs before corona continued to fly during. How many specifically acquired a SEPs due to it (0,001%)?

This screenshot was taken now, US is back to normal almost. Europe is still dead.

@mooney_driver

I don’t think many non-airline (fear of infection, lack of flights) flights swept over to GA SEPs.

Now, the turbine/jet market definitely got a push!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

This screenshot was taken now

Those greenish areas are indications of Chemtrails, right?

Snoopy wrote:

Europe is still dead.

Should be taken into account that there is some quite bad weather here at the moment, with lows and TS all over Europe – and travel restrictions are massive and still in force.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

with lows and TS all over Europe

no reason

UdoR wrote:

and travel restrictions are massive and still in force.

that’s it

always learning
LO__, Austria

dublinpilot wrote:

GA isn’t a great way of getting around the place for most families.

GA is a great way of going somewhere at virtually zero notice because the weather is nice for a weekend and the opportunity presents itself.

GA is almost useless for going somewhere on a schedule (at least in NW Europe) unless you have a household income that will support a capable FIKI single.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

unless you have a household income that will support a capable FIKI single.

…and travel companions who are happy to travel in all weather.

A person I know has a PC-12, which is all-wx capable, and had very unhappy travel companions and a ruined carpet after a turbulent flight a few weeks ago…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

alioth wrote:

GA is almost useless for going somewhere on a schedule (at least in NW Europe) unless you have a household income that will support a capable FIKI single

That is true, the problem with family is the flying pressure 1/ you simply can’t divert/cancel in front of aircraft and 2/ you can’t fly in all weather: heavy rain, convective clouds, strong winds, icing…even if pilot/aircraft are capable, you have to select your days carefully

I fail to see how much FIKI capable single can help to smooth the ride for family in convective clouds? maybe if it allows outclimbing CBs and smooth VMC on top but then you get into pressurization, cabin heaters, in-flight weather and oxygen cannulas (on these my wife will tell me to put them in my a*** the next time I will suggest depart & climb above weather), in winter stratus pax won’t even notice icing build up (unless it’s twin with hot props banging on doors to wake them up), however, you will be be lucky to find a family who will appreciate +25kts surface wind in CAVOK day, cruise at 3000ft in fluffy +10kts cumulus in summer !

Flying solo one can easily deal with any sort of weather even going somewhere on a schedule in “non capable non-FIKI” just like they deal with crosswinds, sunsets, thunderstorms, PPR/PNR, fuel and opening hours…

I have seen one private PC12 departing in 40G55kts winds but I recall it was no pax and no owner

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 May 12:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message